cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Client cancelled contract and requested refund after project done perfectly

Highlighted
Robin C Member Since: Jan 10, 2012
41 of 46
Quote: Copyright law trumps oDesk TOS That's absolutely correct! I could go on and on about how the terms actually stated in oDesk ToS do not follow general copyright laws (the main fact being that most of the work done on oDesk cannot be categorized as "work for hire" as oDesk labels it all). We actually have far more rights than the ToS eludes to. That's all great for the slim chance that things ever came to a legal battle over ownership (the search engines are on our side as well, though), but not so impressive when it comes down to a situation like Luke's. After all, what does he want with the work done for this client. It's of no use to him. He wants his money and an intact reputation (both publicly and behind the scenes). He is being cheated out of both and I suspect that retaining ownership hardly makes up for that.
Highlighted
Community Guru
Marcia M Member Since: Apr 3, 2013
42 of 46
You're right, it doesn't help Luke with his money or his reputation.
Highlighted
Luke R Member Since: Nov 20, 2013
43 of 46
Quick Update The client did not respond to oDesk, but they gathered from my messaging to the client that it was complete and therefore cancelled his refund. Wasn't expecting that. I hope this doesn't affect my feedback or anything still though.
Highlighted
Community Guru
Misty K Member Since: Feb 5, 2012
44 of 46
Glad you got your money, and they didn't try to take anything. Feedback, I don't think I'd really worry about it. Nine times out of ten, and due to the situation (extending circumstances) the client probably will just walk away and not leave any. There are many who take that approach anyway. I hope that you don't have that stress to contend with. Are you going to leave any feedback?
Highlighted
Community Guru
Dianne M Member Since: Jul 25, 2013
45 of 46
That client should be banned. He was clearly trying to scam the system. He was clearly driven by greed and malevolence. Wanted to ruin your rep, and also get money from oDesk apart from getting free work. People like that should not be allowed to live. Super Grrrrrr

❄❄❄ Just A Forum Contributor --- This isn't against forum guidelines ❄❄❄
Highlighted
Community Guru
Natasa R Member Since: Feb 2, 2012
46 of 46
I'm glad to hear that oDesk took the time to read the messages and canceled your client's refund. oDesk should have tested this program first on a group of volunteers instead of using people without their knowledge. Can't say I'm surprised to see someone trying to use the system so soon. I hope this client is smart enough to never do this again.
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS