🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Client cancelled the project
Page options
peretyaka
Community Member

Client cancelled the project

Hello!
The client canceled the project, that was almost completed.
Before, he added a work on the last task and I re-estimate the project with the higher price. Also, he funded only for the first milestone instead of three that were completed. I sent him three milestones with the offer to close the project with the price of three milestones, not full project. Then, he started to blackmaile me, I deleted three milestones from the resource and offer him to fund the amount for all three, not only one part of the project. He cancelled the project without any explanation. Here are some messages from my communication with client. He stopped contact me at all. How can I dispute his decision?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Alexander:

We want you to succeed here on Upwork, but you need to let this go.

You made a number of mistakes, and it is not yet clear to me that you understand that.

re: "I deleted three milestones from the resource"

I understand that you were frustrated, but Upwork doesn't like it when freelancers delete work they have been hired to do for paying clients.

re: "He cancelled the project without any explanation."

Clients are allowed to cancel projects at any time. Clients are not required to provide an explanation.

re: "I said, that I will write to Upwork support center if he lives negative feedback, that's all."

You can't be doing that. This is what Upwork refers to as "feedback manipulation."

re: "How can I get money for the job done?"

This is over. Don't worry about the money. If you keep drawing attention to this contract, Upwork may look into the whole situation more closely and decide to suspend your account.

The way Upwork sees things is this:

- A client sets up a milestone and funds it with money in escrow

- The freelancer does the work and submits the work

- The client releases payment for the milestone.

Don't make things more complicated than that.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
prestonhunter
Community Member

You worked for unfunded milestones.

This was a mistake on your part. I hope that you learned from your mistake.

In the future, only work on fully funded milestones.

kat303
Community Member

First of all, and most important, the client didn't blackmail you, YOU blackmailed the client. You basically held the work you did unless he gave you 5 stars. In order for the client to get the work you did, the client had to give you 5 stars. Not only that, it was if you give me 5 stars I'll give you 5 stars. Doing that will get your account suspended. That is the most unprofessional action I have ever heard. Lets hope that the client doesn't report you or open a dispute for your behavior. No wonder the client closed the contract. 

Having said that, yoiu do not know how to work on this site properly. The job has 3 milestones with a fraction of the total price assigned to each milestone as well as the scope of work to be preformed. Client funds 1st milestone, you do the work for that milestone. Client looks over the work and approves it, releasing the funds in escrow. 

Then the client should fund the 2nd milestone. If the client doesn't fund the 2nd milestone, you do NOT do the work for that milestone. It's as simple as that. You don't threaten, you don't blackmail, You explain to the client Professionally that you can not start the work for the next milestone until it's FULLY funded. That's it. It's up to the client now. If they don't, you still get paid for the work you did. 

peretyaka
Community Member

I didn't blackmail anyone. I've done three tasks properly, client reviewed them. I said, that I will write to Upwork support center if he lives negative feedback, that's all. It was just an offer, not blackmail. Anyway, he funded for one milestone, and that milestone is done. How can I get money for the job done?

Alexander:

We want you to succeed here on Upwork, but you need to let this go.

You made a number of mistakes, and it is not yet clear to me that you understand that.

re: "I deleted three milestones from the resource"

I understand that you were frustrated, but Upwork doesn't like it when freelancers delete work they have been hired to do for paying clients.

re: "He cancelled the project without any explanation."

Clients are allowed to cancel projects at any time. Clients are not required to provide an explanation.

re: "I said, that I will write to Upwork support center if he lives negative feedback, that's all."

You can't be doing that. This is what Upwork refers to as "feedback manipulation."

re: "How can I get money for the job done?"

This is over. Don't worry about the money. If you keep drawing attention to this contract, Upwork may look into the whole situation more closely and decide to suspend your account.

The way Upwork sees things is this:

- A client sets up a milestone and funds it with money in escrow

- The freelancer does the work and submits the work

- The client releases payment for the milestone.

Don't make things more complicated than that.

Thank you, sir.

Alexander S wrote:

I didn't blackmail anyone.

What you did (and then attached the proof to a post on a public forum, stupidly) is called feedback extortion. It is a serious violation of Upwork's terms of service (as well as quite breathtakingly unprofessional) and could get you kicked off the site and cost you your account.

Alexander S wrote:

Here are some messages from my communication with client. He stopped contact me at all.

I am not surprised.

If the client had any sense he reported you to Upwork and blocked you.

I've already received an information I wanted. No need to repeat all the criticism. Thanks.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members