🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Client cannot approve project
Page options
8354ff02
Community Member

Client cannot approve project

I know it seems odd, but I have a client who cannot log in to approve the project.  I am not concerned about getting paid because the work product will not be delivered until this is resolved.

I have asked Customer Service repeatedly for assistance, and I can provide the specific proposal, but all that I get is "have the client contact us".  The client says that every time he tries to contact Upwork, he receives no reply.

I realize that this reads odd, but why can't Upwork reach out to the client so that I can deliver the work product and get PAID?

8 REPLIES 8
petra_r
Community Member

Dan H wrote:

I am not concerned about getting paid because the work product will not be delivered until this is resolved.

The client should never, ever, under any circumstances approve a milestone / release payment until they have received the work product. Freelancers who ask for funds to be released before they have delivered the work product can be and should be suspended from the platform because that is not how Upwork works and how clients get scammed.

The way it works is that you submit the full work product through the "submit work for payment" button and after checking this over, the client releases funds.

prestonhunter
Community Member

Dan:

You really can't help another Upwork user log into Upwork.

That is something that the client will need to work out for himself.

If it was me: I would briefly point out that he can work with Upwork Customer Support, and I would mention that he can come to the Community Forum and ask all the questions he wants.

But I wouldn't worry too much, because I know that I WILL GET PAID AUTOMATICALLY.

If it was me, I would have ALREADY DELIVERED THE WORK to the client vial email/Dropbox/etc. So the client is satisfied. And I would have already clicked the official green "Submit Work" button.

If the client figures out how to log on and release payment, that is fine. If he does not, figure that out, it is also fine.

Preston H wrote:

If it was me, I would have ALREADY DELIVERED THE WORK to the client vial email/Dropbox/etc.

Pointless. Unless it was delivered through Upwork (or as well though Upwork within 24 hours) it is considered null and void in case of a dispute.

re: "Unless it was delivered through Upwork (or as well though Upwork within 24 hours) it is considered null and void in case of a dispute."

Precisely.

That is why I always tell freelancers to submit their work as soon as they have finished it using the official "Submit Work / Request Payment" button.

Because that is what starts the countdown to receiving payment, even if the client is unable to log in, or simply not paying attention to Upwork.

As I have said in the past, I personally provide access to all source code, all work files, from the BEGINNING of the project. I provide continuous access to the work, whether it is an hourly or fixed-price contract. But that is NOT Upwork's requirement, and I do not say that this is what all Upwork freelancers should do with fixed-price contracts.

Preston H wrote:

re: "Unless it was delivered through Upwork (or as well though Upwork within 24 hours) it is considered null and void in case of a dispute."

Precisely.

That is why I always tell freelancers to submit their work as soon as they have finished it using the official "Submit Work / Request Payment" button.

I see, so that's why you tell the OP to send the deliverables to the client via "email/dropbox/etc"

re: "I see, so that's why you tell the OP to send the deliverables to the client via email/dropbox/etc"

Exactly.

Because the original poster said that the client he is working with could not log in to Upwork.

If I am the freelancer in this situation, then I don't want my client to feel like he has not received the work I completed. So I do not count on the client being able to resolve his log-in issues. Instead, I immediately provide the files to the client using a method that I know will work for him.

While simultanously using the "Submit Work" button, to ensure that I receive payment.

kat303
Community Member

Dan H wrote:

I know it seems odd, but I have a client who cannot log in to approve the project.  I am not concerned about getting paid because the work product will not be delivered until this is resolved.

I have asked Customer Service repeatedly for assistance, and I can provide the specific proposal, but all that I get is "have the client contact us".  The client says that every time he tries to contact Upwork, he receives no reply.

I realize that this reads odd, but why can't Upwork reach out to the client so that I can deliver the work product and get PAID?

------------

The question I have is, - If this is a fixed rate contract has escrow been fully funded? If so, then you NEED to send the work you completed. - click on the Submit Work/Release Payment button. It won't matter if the client can't log in (which he has to deal with Upwork customer service for the solution) The funds in escrow (provided there are funds) will be released to you automatically in 14 days.

If this was an hourly contract and you used Tracker to record the hours you worked. you still need to deliver the work. Upwork will bill the client automatically. There's nothing else you need to do either way except deliver the work first before you get paid (and make sure, if fixed rate, escrow is fully funded). 

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Dan,

Could you please click on my name and send me a PM with more information about the Client you're referring to. I'll check that for you and assist you accordingly.

Thank you.

~ Bojan
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths