🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Client cannot see my milestones and I do not ...
Page options
andreea_simion
Community Member

Client cannot see my milestones and I do not see an active contract for that client

This is my first job on this platform and for my client as well. I don't know how a job/contract is supposed to look on the platform.

I have started working for the client and completed my first milestone. I have asked the client to mark the first milestone as completed so that I get paid. She said she tried to do that but there was no milestone for her to mark, she does not see any of my milestones (3 in total).

I went to My Jobs section and noticed that I have no active contracts, even though I am actually currently working on one.  I can see the job in my Active Proposals but not in my Active Contracts.

I looked for the job and it is still posted, it looks like there are still poeple stuck in the interviewing stage and there is no hire on the job, even though again, I was hired and already started working.

Is there something that the client should have done? And if so, can someone kindly help with the instractions on what to do? It's her first time navigating through this platform as well.

Thnak you in advance for your help.

Have a nice day.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
ericaandrews
Community Member

You don't have an active contract (and should never start working) until you receive an OFFER from the client from your proposal and accept that offer.   If you didn't get an email and a notification saying "your contract has started", your contract is not active.  An active proposal is not an active contract.   Definitely stop working until you get the client to open your proposal and send an OFFER.  After you accept it, you then WAIT until the client funds the contract/milestones, and don't begin work until the milestones are funded.  Right now, there's no guarantee that you will get paid at all because you didn't follow the proper process.   She could refuse to send over an offer, take the work, not pay you, and there's nothing you can do.

You also should take some time to read the tutorials to understand how you are suppose to work fixed price contracts on Upwork.  If you don't submit the work to the client THROUGH Upwork's system, you have no way to request payment and no grounds to dispute through Upwork if the client fails to pay.

https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/211063718-Get-Paid-for-Fixed-Price-Contracts

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
martina_plaschka
Community Member

The client has to send you an offer. You accept the offer. 

Currently you don't have a contract, and you should stop immediately working on it. 

So you say something like: Hey Suzie, I figured out how to proceed. Please send an offer with our agreed terms of .... 

Thank you for the reply and explanations.  I will instruct the client to send an offer and also fund the milestones.

ericaandrews
Community Member

You don't have an active contract (and should never start working) until you receive an OFFER from the client from your proposal and accept that offer.   If you didn't get an email and a notification saying "your contract has started", your contract is not active.  An active proposal is not an active contract.   Definitely stop working until you get the client to open your proposal and send an OFFER.  After you accept it, you then WAIT until the client funds the contract/milestones, and don't begin work until the milestones are funded.  Right now, there's no guarantee that you will get paid at all because you didn't follow the proper process.   She could refuse to send over an offer, take the work, not pay you, and there's nothing you can do.

You also should take some time to read the tutorials to understand how you are suppose to work fixed price contracts on Upwork.  If you don't submit the work to the client THROUGH Upwork's system, you have no way to request payment and no grounds to dispute through Upwork if the client fails to pay.

https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/211063718-Get-Paid-for-Fixed-Price-Contracts

Thank you for your time and detailed explanations. I will instruct the client to send an offer and also fund the milestones.

Thank you again, very helpful.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members