🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Client changed budget from $200 to $2
Page options
wallacej
Community Member

Client changed budget from $200 to $2

A client posted a job with an estimated fixed-price budget of $200 for a 500-word article. He has a high rating (4.75 stars with 482 reviews) and seemed reputable. I submitted a bid around $125. 

He sent me a message saying because I don't have any successfully completed contracts (not true...I have 4) that he was willing to pay me $2 per article and it would be a great opportunity for me to build up my feedback. 

My question is...while this definitely feels shady to me, has the client technically broken any Upwork rules? Should I report him or just let it go?

8 REPLIES 8
joansands
Community Member

Janice - It does seem shady to me and that person is probably not someone you would enjoy working for. If it were me, I would not even respond to him and would just move on.

petra_r
Community Member

Janice W wrote:

A client posted a job with an estimated fixed-price budget of $200 for a 500-word article. He has a high rating (4.75 stars with 482 reviews) and seemed reputable. I submitted a bid around $125. 

Do you usually charge $ 125 for a 500 word article? I bet the client never intended to pay $ 200 for one article to anybody.

Janice W wrote:

He sent me a message saying because I don't have any successfully completed contracts (not true...I have 4) 

You have no successfully completed WRITING contracts. You have completed contracts for creating fake accounts on a platform, and two admin jobs.

Janice W wrote:

My question is...while this definitely feels shady to me, has the client technically broken any Upwork rules? Should I report him or just let it go?

It's a waste of time and sharp practice, but does not break any rules.

Just have a quiet laugh and move on. Nothing to report him for.

$200 is VERY high for 500 words. 

I'm sure there's writers out there that can make that kind of money but with all due respect Janice, your profile does not suggest you can (I can't either). Not even $125. 

It's just unrealistic. I'm inclined to think the client made a mistake. 

Jamie F wrote:

I'm sure there's writers out there that can make that kind of money but with all due respect Janice, your profile does not suggest you can (I can't either). Not even $125. 

It's just unrealistic. I'm inclined to think the client made a mistake. 

It was more likely a bait and switch tbf.

btw, I sell 500 word articles on a *mill* for $135, so $125 is not unrealistic.

petra_r
Community Member

Jennifer M wrote:

Jamie F wrote:

btw, I sell 500 word articles on a *mill* for $135, so $125 is not unrealistic.

It is at Jamie's (and likely Janice's,) end of the market.

robin_hyman
Community Member

You're new to Upwork so he was trying to take advantage.  When a client seems shady you need to move on.  

martina_plaschka
Community Member

Janice W wrote:

He sent me a message saying because I don't have any successfully completed contracts (not true...I have 4) that he was willing to pay me $2 per article and it would be a great opportunity for me to build up my feedback. 

The client is not necessarily shady, but dirt-cheap. Nothing to report here. 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths