🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Client changed scope for a fixed job post hir...
Page options
biswasin
Community Member

Client changed scope for a fixed job post hiring

Hi All,

So I have a problem with a fixed price job, where the client asked for market sizing and analysis of particular market (supply chain tech/software). I sent him a detailed coverage plan as part of proposal, post which we had a discussion and I was hired. However, post hiring he asked for a call where he made the scope narrower making it more diffiuclt to be covered (a smaller sub-segment of suppy chain tech called freight management software). I didn't raise any issue at that time thinking will cover it anyways. However, he then again sent a mail saying he specifically wants it to be bottom-up market sizing (ie, instead of top down that we agreed earlier), making the coverage even more complex and time consuming - without increasing or even taking about the cost or time all along. This time I tried reasoning with him on call but he was not flexible and adamant that since this is a part of supply chain tech anyways it has to be covered. I can go ahead and close the contract as he has changed the scope signiificantly without increasing the price, but I am sure he will give poor rating which will impact my JSS. So need some guidance on what to do in this case? Should I get in touch with Upwork customer executves? Will that help? Note that this has already resulted in delay in submitting this project and is impacting my other projects as well. Kindly suggest!

Thanks,

Ritam

3 REPLIES 3
petra_r
Community Member

Ritam B wrote:

So need some guidance on what to do in this case? Should I get in touch with Upwork customer executves? Will that help?

No, it won't. Managing your clients and your contracts is your job.

Ultimately, you are meant to do what is specified in the contract or what you specifically agreed to afterwards. You need to be polite and firm telling the client that you will do what was agreed and what you were hired for, and that anything else requires additional time and money.

biswasin
Community Member

I have already discussed the same and have explained as politiely as possible, and can discuss n number of times, but that is not the problem. the problem is, I am pretty sure he will give a negative feedback once I try to revert back to the original scope and that will have an impact on my JSS for no fault of mine. Is there a way around this? Its simple - I am concerned that my JSS will go down for no fault of mine!

petra_r
Community Member

Ritam B wrote:

I am pretty sure he will give a negative feedback once I try to revert back to the original scope and that will have an impact on my JSS for no fault of mine. Is there a way around this? 

Not really, unless the client has a history of poor outcomes, in which case the contract would be excluded from the JSS calculation.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members