🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Client changing requirements and calling it a...
Page options
kevinhickssw
Community Member

Client changing requirements and calling it a bug. Asking to change features for free.

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for some advice on how to deal with a client that is constantly changing requirements after a feature is done then coming back and calling it a bug to try to get me to fix it for free. They have also sent me other developer's work as bugs to fix for free claiming they were mine even though I didn't work in that area. The relationship started out good and they were a good client for close to a year now. I know they started hurting for money and have directly had to cut my budget and told me they don't have the funds so it might be the stress of them not having the budget but having customer requests outstanding causing this. However I can't keep going on debating why all new work needs to be paid for even if they or their customers changed their mind.

I'm looking to get out of this relationship with the client with the least impact to my JSS. I know the client is frustrated and blaming me for a lot of issues. I can literally link them to and send them screenshots of requirements they posted in our project management software that I implemented correctly and they will just basically be "that isn't the way its supposed to work, its a bug and you need to fix it". I don't see any way to make a client happy that can't admit when they made a mistake in their requirements and wants it fixed for free. We have a contract written up that details bugs as being fixed for free if it's an actual coding error but it specifically stated bugs do not include changes to written down requirements. Even the hourly contract I am on with them now isn't working out well cause they question any billable time especially when its loosely related to any previous work.

The issue is happening enough that I'm close to reporting them to UpWork for terms of service violation for asking for free work, but I could also see that going against me too since UpWork can't see their project managment software and all the conversations that happened in that software and meetings. UpWork Support also can't view any screenshots as I have to track manual time for this client due to HIPAA requirements and that I am often seeing patient data when debugging issues. I also don't want to report them cause so far I have been able to get them to agree to pay but this is starting to happen all the time now. I've also read enough in these forums and others to know UpWork tends to prefer to side with the client over contract issues.

So in summary, I'm trying to find a way to appease this client enough to get out of the job without having the client provide bad feedback because they either got requirements wrong or changed their mind and don't want to pay for the changes.

Thanks for any advice you can provide.
2 REPLIES 2
a_lipsey
Community Member

Kevin H wrote:
Hi everyone,

I'm looking for some advice on how to deal with a client that is constantly changing requirements after a feature is done then coming back and calling it a bug to try to get me to fix it for free. They have also sent me other developer's work as bugs to fix for free claiming they were mine even though I didn't work in that area. The relationship started out good and they were a good client for close to a year now. I know they started hurting for money and have directly had to cut my budget and told me they don't have the funds so it might be the stress of them not having the budget but having customer requests outstanding causing this. However I can't keep going on debating why all new work needs to be paid for even if they or their customers changed their mind.

I'm looking to get out of this relationship with the client with the least impact to my JSS. I know the client is frustrated and blaming me for a lot of issues. I can literally link them to and send them screenshots of requirements they posted in our project management software that I implemented correctly and they will just basically be "that isn't the way its supposed to work, its a bug and you need to fix it". I don't see any way to make a client happy that can't admit when they made a mistake in their requirements and wants it fixed for free. We have a contract written up that details bugs as being fixed for free if it's an actual coding error but it specifically stated bugs do not include changes to written down requirements. Even the hourly contract I am on with them now isn't working out well cause they question any billable time especially when its loosely related to any previous work.

The issue is happening enough that I'm close to reporting them to UpWork for terms of service violation for asking for free work, but I could also see that going against me too since UpWork can't see their project managment software and all the conversations that happened in that software and meetings. UpWork Support also can't view any screenshots as I have to track manual time for this client due to HIPAA requirements and that I am often seeing patient data when debugging issues. I also don't want to report them cause so far I have been able to get them to agree to pay but this is starting to happen all the time now. I've also read enough in these forums and others to know UpWork tends to prefer to side with the client over contract issues.

So in summary, I'm trying to find a way to appease this client enough to get out of the job without having the client provide bad feedback because they either got requirements wrong or changed their mind and don't want to pay for the changes.

Thanks for any advice you can provide.

My suggestion? Tell them you have signed on with another client and need to orchestrate a transition. Give them a week or so for closing out remaining tasks, set a hard date for closing the contract. You may take a hit, but they've already cut your budget and it's turning sour. If they are questioning your work and not understanding when you set forth that it's a change in the scope and not just a bug, best to make it an amicable departure. Thank them so much for their ongoing business, let them know you may have availability in the future (even if  you won't really work with them, leaving the door open makes it sound positive), and  start the transition.  That's how I would handle it, at least.  

d_hargy-louden
Community Member

I've been here before. With my client it wasn't ongoing it just became apparent that the scope was increasing because they wanted a much larger project than they could pay for so I ended up in a similar position unable to make them happy because we just weren't in the advertised job.
I ended up having to discuss the job description vs what they wanted but it wasn't to much avail and I refunded them on my most recent hours to keep good faith.
I'm sorry I couldn't be more help I'd suggest that they on some level know they're taking the mickey. Perhaps start the wrapping up process is there any room to blame time constraints?

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members