🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Client changing scope of work / possible end ...
Page options
b69a582f
Community Member

Client changing scope of work / possible end of contract without payment

After months of a client stringing me along, he finally sent an offer. We discussed what he wanted, and now, as I'm waiting for the work to be sent to me it's quite, quite different from what we discussed. Obviously, the price would be too. Now, the contract is sitting, he's not answering. I've tried to use the help chat bot to contact Upwork, but it's not giving me that option, just keeps saying refresh. Nothing's happening. 

My question is this, perhaps someone here knows. What happens if he ends the contract, gets his escrow returned, and leaves me a poor private rating, even though it's not fault of my own, and I'm trying to offer solutions which he doesn't want? It's possible he got me confused with someone else, but then, it's also possible that he just made a mistake, but it's also possible he's expecting a much higher paying job done for this low rate to hold my rating hostage. 

I am top rated, however I want to save my perk of a removal not because someone's made a mistake and upset about it, but just to have, just in case. Any suggestions? If the contract gets closed without work done, will Upwork consider removing any feedback issue without using the perk? 

2 REPLIES 2
prestonhunter
Community Member

re: " I've tried to use the help chat bot to contact Upwork, but it's not giving me that option, just keeps saying refresh. Nothing's happening."

You do NOT need to contact Upwork Customer Support about this matter.

This is something that you really need to handle yourself.

You may ask as many questions as you like here in the Community Forum to seek advice.

re: "What happens if he ends the contract, gets his escrow returned, and leaves me a poor private rating, even though it's not fault of my own, and I'm trying to offer solutions which he doesn't want?"

If a contract ends with ZERO PAY, then it will NOT have an affect on your JSS.

Unless the client leaves negative private feedback. That would indeed impact JSS negatively.

If YOU close the contract, then the clien may never leave feedback of any kind. So that may be something that you can do strategically: If you aren't going to do any work, and if you aren't going to get paid, you can simply close the contract yourself. If the client does nothing, then there will be no feedback from the client - no possibility of negative feedback.

re: "If the contract gets closed without work done, will Upwork consider removing any feedback issue without using the perk?"

Well... There will be nothing or Upwork to remove from your profile page or work history. If the contract is closed without any money being paid, it will be impossible for the contract to be shown on in your work history. No listing. No feedback. Nothing.

It is possible - if the CLIENT closes the contract - that the client will leave private feedback. Why would he leave bad feedback if you didn't charge him anything? I would like to think he would have no reason to leave negative feedback. But if he does, then, yes, that could have negative impact on JSS. But keep in mind that feedback is weighted based on the dollar value of the contract. So a zero-pay contract? I like to think that the impact will be minimal.

Will Upwork remove the negative private feedback from a job without you using the perk? No.

Thank you for your detailed reply, Preston. I'm grateful to you!  

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members