cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Client cheated with me

kofbd
Kazi R Member Since: Nov 3, 2011
1 of 24
I have finished a fixed price project about 95% , in the mean time client asked to develop custom wordpress widgets plugin to inject in page builder which was not the client's requirements at the beginning and i told him i cant do it right now need time. At the end client says that "this cant be accepted please cancel my contract" but the project is done 95% and he paid me $0 for about 60 hours work. I have canceled this contract. I think Odesk should take action against this clients.
mistykeith
Community Guru
Misty K Member Since: Feb 5, 2012
2 of 24
Why did you do that if you did 95% of the work? You just gave this client a huge amount of work for FREE? You didn't press him for payment? Because he said cancel, you did so, knowing that was the wrong thing to do? What about the 60 hours of time you put into it? Is your time worth nothing? You should have captured a milestone at the very beginning before even starting. I feel for you, but I can't have sympathy really. Hopefully you'll know how to handle yourself next time.
kofbd
3 of 24
Nothing happened like this before, I have cancelled this contract since its fixed price and the client telling me to cancel the contract without talking about payment, been so hopless and decided to stop wasting time.
stephenbrightman
Community Guru
Stephen B Member Since: Dec 4, 2012
4 of 24
Please, please, learn from this experience - sixty hours of work with no comeback - the mind boggles. Don't just move on, but take a whole good look at why and how it happened, then move on older and wiser...
kofbd
5 of 24
Yes i am now more careful
djsbaker
Daniel John B Member Since: Oct 3, 2013
6 of 24
60 is horrible. I recently had one that got up to 32 hours, it turned really strange and sour - and was my first bad contract. It put me under stress etc and I just wanted rid of it. Up until then all my clients were great. It definitely put the fear into me. Now I dread and worry about all new projects. Chin up Kazi! There will always be one bad apple in the barrel.
ladyelexia
Community Guru
Heather H Member Since: May 9, 2011
7 of 24
[quote=Daniel John Baker]There will always be one bad apple in the barrel.[/quote] yeah....there is a lot more than one dear. As you go along, you can expect 3-5 per year, regardless of how much you charge, or how well you screen your clients.
stephenbrightman
Community Guru
Stephen B Member Since: Dec 4, 2012
8 of 24
Based on what? I've never had one, and never been not paid for anything. A few who wrankle me a bit and I'm glad when the contract ends but that's about it. And I don't think I'm unique. Only fair to put the other side of the story, I think
ladyelexia
Community Guru
Heather H Member Since: May 9, 2011
9 of 24
Let me explain, I have been freelancing for 12+ years. I have a pretty good screening process, which is more detailed than what they offer on this platform, but I should point out that only 3% of my clients come from oDesk. That being said, as with any "items" you purchase, there is a percentage of bad stock. You will run across 3-5 wonky clients a year, regardless, that does not mean that they will be able to screw you out of your money, if you are careful, but that does not stop them from being bad clients. I am amazed that you have never run across a client in your entire working life that was less than kosher. Kudos, you are amazing. I have run across a great deal, and kept on walking, so I have not had to deal with being a victim, but for you never to have ever dealt with one, even if you chose not to work with them is a bit amazing, and frankly , not very common. If you add the online factor, this number only increases, but you must have a pretty good system, I think you should write about it and sell it.
aaron100
Aaron J Member Since: Dec 3, 2013
10 of 24
I've only worked with one client who did me wrong, but other than that I have had a great time on the site. It hurts, but I do what you're saying here...learn the lesson and move on.
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS