🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Client cheated
Page options
volos37
Community Member

Client cheated

Hi! I applied proposal, and then client wrote to me in chat. And we have agreed, that i must do this jobon his server and then he will pay me. But after i did that, he's just has gone and block my access to his server. Is there a way to make him pay? He didn't give me contract.
ACCEPTED SOLUTION
prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "Is there a way to make him pay? He didn't give me contract."

No.

There is no way to make him pay.

Clients can't pay freelancers without a contract.

I don't look at this as a situation in which the client cheated.

I look at this as a situation in which the freelancer (Sergey) made a big mistake.

It is due to the freelancer's mistake that he did not get paid.

And THAT IS GOOD NEWS.

Because if this is was the client's fault, then you have no control. And can not change things.

But because this was your fault, you have total control over this type of thing in the future.

All you need to do is this:

Don't work without a contract.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "Is there a way to make him pay? He didn't give me contract."

No.

There is no way to make him pay.

Clients can't pay freelancers without a contract.

I don't look at this as a situation in which the client cheated.

I look at this as a situation in which the freelancer (Sergey) made a big mistake.

It is due to the freelancer's mistake that he did not get paid.

And THAT IS GOOD NEWS.

Because if this is was the client's fault, then you have no control. And can not change things.

But because this was your fault, you have total control over this type of thing in the future.

All you need to do is this:

Don't work without a contract.

Ok, Thank you. Biggest mistake is to trust people.

Sergey K wrote:
Ok, Thank you. Biggest mistake is to trust people.

I wouldn't put it quite like that 😉

However, in all business arrangements, contracts prevent problems of disagreement.  Everyone involved knows exactly what is expected for how much, and there's no chance of misunderstanding.

For instance, I will speak with non-funding verified connects, but I will not start any work until a job is funded.   It's in both yours and your clients' best interests

mtngigi
Community Member

Sergey K wrote:
Hi! I applied proposal, and then client wrote to me in chat. And we have agreed, that i must do this jobon his server and then he will pay me. But after i did that, he's just has gone and block my access to his server. Is there a way to make him pay? He didn't give me contract.

No, there is no way to make him pay. An agreement in chat is not a contract. Never do any work without a contract in place.

If you're new, you should take a look at all the available material on how things work. This is a good start:  https://community.upwork.com/t5/New-to-Upwork/Getting-Started-on-Upwork/m-p/264214#U264214

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members