Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Client claimed that I did the job incorrectly and left me unpaid

darvintan912
Daniel Robin T Member Since: Sep 20, 2016
1 of 22

Dear Upwork,

Just a week ago, I had my first gig and was very excited about it. It was an "entry level" VA task, and that is by doing a couple of web research about the client's needs. I must admit that I made a mistake at first because I quite misunderstod what the client needed. After hours spend of researching (I even had to spend extra hours at my regular work; unpaid of course), I finally completed the 1st set of tasks assigned by the client. After submitting the report, client emailed me back and told me that she's now ending the contract (I was supposed to do the work for 4 days but had only worked for 2 days); told me that she will just contact me whenever she needs my service, without any explanation. So I emailed her back but got no response. And because I was so upset, I gave her a negative feedback. After having such feedback, she emailed me back and had told me to remove the negative criticism I gave her. She even threatened that if I don't take it out, she'll leave me with a comment which won't be on friendly terms. She also mentioned that it was not form of a scam because I would still ge paid of the hours I rendered. Of course I felt gulity of what I did, and had only done it out of frustration. So I planned to remove the said feedback once I arrive the office (while we were exchanging mails, I was on my way to work). To my surprise, when I finally arrived in the office and had a chance to log in to Upwork, what she wrote was in deed "unfriendly" which will put my future career/s at risk. So I gave her a chance, I took my negative feedback out and told her that its time for her to change hers and put an end to everything in a professional manner. Since then, the client stopped responding; no payment was made and had left me with only a negative feedback.

I am no longer after the payment for my service but I wanted to redeem myself and would like to have that negative feedback taken out of my profile. I have all the evidences (chat logs) to prove my point.

Thanks and more power to Upwork!

Regards,

Darvin

stencil_media
Community Guru
Scott E Member Since: Jul 26, 2015
2 of 22

Ah well, you'll know for next time. Looks like you have been paid... was it your lack of knowledge of the platform that made you think you'd not been paid, but now you have been paid? Was your lack of payment the main reason for leaving your feedback? If so, then it sounds like this is entirely your own fault... and although the client's feedback isn't the best, it does sound accurate based on what happened. 

Learn how things work. Stay calm in the face of adversity. Be professional. Never call a client a scammer unless you're 100% sure they are a scammer. Even then, you could be more diplomatic. 

"Welcome, humans. I'm ready for you!"
- Box, Logan's Run (1976)
stencil_media
Community Guru
Scott E Member Since: Jul 26, 2015
3 of 22

Oh, and if you're Darvin... then who's Daniel?

"Welcome, humans. I'm ready for you!"
- Box, Logan's Run (1976)
darvintan912
4 of 22

@Scott E wrote:

Oh, and if you're Darvin... then who's Daniel?

Same person. Its me. Darvin is my nickname

mtngigi
Community Guru
Virginia F Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
5 of 22

Um Daniel .... or is it Darvin? 

You do not treat clients in this manner, no matter what. Of course the client is not responding ... why would they? What "evidence"? You were paid for your work ... the client is not obligated to use your services if they're not happy with your performance.

gnakeur
Community Guru
Giorgi N Member Since: Dec 5, 2015
6 of 22

Daniel/Darvin you got what you deserve. The client(and you) can end the contract at any time. It is not mandatory for any of you and client to work with each other. If the client thinks you are performing poorly he/she can end the contract. If you think you are not comfortable working with the client you can end the contract.

Don't message this client any more or you can be reported and banned. That is completely your fault. Learn basics, read through help articles and forum threads. Be nice and polite with your clients. Keep calm and never provide feedback based on emotions.

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
7 of 22

NOT in reference to the original poster's situation, but as a general observation, there's this:

If a client claims that you did the job incorrectly... then it means you did the job incorrectly.

darvintan912
8 of 22

I totally disagree with you, dude. Its like saying "the customer is always right".. or are they?

darvintan912
9 of 22
Again, I got all the evidences that I, definitely, did the job right. Based on the client's statement and how she instructed me. I am not that stupid not to understand a simple English. I shouldn't have applied for it in the first place if I don't.
petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
10 of 22

@Daniel Robin T wrote:
I must admit that I had a a few mistakes at first because I quite misunderstod what the client needed.

Look, you ENABLED the client to change their 5 star fedback to you

You behaved badly and now you have exactly the feedback you would have had if the client had not originally been kind before you called her a scammer (WHAT????) because you had not understood how it works.

And which IS your name? Darvin or Daniel?

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS