cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Client claimed that I did the job incorrectly and left me unpaid

darvintan912
Daniel Robin T Member Since: Sep 20, 2016
11 of 22

Would like to have a copy of our whole conversation and see for yourself?

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
12 of 22

@Daniel Robin T wrote:

No, I wouldn't because it does not matter. The client did not "scam" you and there is NOTHING at all in the feedback you got which makes it removable. You are stuck with it. Leave the client alone before you get your account banned completely.

Who is Daniel and who is Darvin?

darvintan912
13 of 22
  • I already stopped messaging her since last week. In fact, the last message I sent her was the response of the leads that she wanted me to look for. I am just concerned about her negative comment. If its not going to affect me at all, nor, would affect my future applications, then, I am cool with that.

@Petra R wrote:

@Daniel Robin T wrote:

No, I wouldn't because it does not matter. The client did not "scam" you and there is NOTHING at all in the feedback you got which makes it removable. You are stuck with it. Leave the client alone before you get your account banned completely.

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
14 of 22

darvintan912
15 of 22

Its me, Darvin being my nickname.

colettelewis
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
BEST ANSWER
16 of 22

Daniel,

Rather than getting mad about it, learn from it.

You have overreacted on this, but it is a lesson learned, if a hard one. None of us are perfect, and even if we think we have turned in good work, it might not meet the client's expectations. It's hard, but it is a good idea to look at the feedback and analyse where one has gone wrong. If your skills are called into question, then you need to ask yourself if you were really qualified to take on the job in question and what you need to do to improve in this area, or to realize that you must not apply for something that is not really in your field. 

Judging from the job, both you and the client (a bit) were at fault. It was a fairly specialized request, and would have been far better suited to someone who either lived in that country or someone who had some first-hand knowledge of it. I can see that it could have taken you hours of research, but you should not have applied for the job in the first place. And perhaps the client should also have done a little more research on his or her part to find a more suitably qualified person for that particular assignment.

You should also read all the help pages and watch the video for new freelancers, before applying for any more jobs.

View solution in original post

darvintan912
17 of 22

@Daniel Robin T wrote:

Dear Upwork,

Just a week ago, I had my first gig and was very excited about it. It was an "entry level" VA task, and that is by doing a couple of web research about the client's needs. I must admit that I made a mistake at first because I quite misunderstod what the client needed. After hours spend of researching (I even had to spend extra hours at my regular work; unpaid of course), I finally completed the 1st set of tasks assigned by the client. After submitting the report, client emailed me back and told me that she's now ending the contract (I was supposed to do the work for 4 days but had only worked for 2 days); told me that she will just contact me whenever she needs my service, without any explanation. So I emailed her back but got no response. And because I was so upset, I gave her a negative feedback. After having such feedback, she emailed me back and had told me to remove the negative criticism I gave her. She even threatened that if I don't take it out, she'll leave me with a comment which won't be on friendly terms. She also mentioned that it was not form of a scam because I would still ge paid of the hours I rendered. Of course I felt gulity of what I did, and had only done it out of frustration. So I planned to remove the said feedback once I arrive the office (while we were exchanging mails, I was on my way to work). To my surprise, when I finally arrived in the office and had a chance to log in to Upwork, what she wrote was in deed "unfriendly" which will put my future career/s at risk. So I gave her a chance, I took my negative feedback out and told her that its time for her to change hers and put an end to everything in a professional manner. Since then, the client stopped responding; no payment was made and had left me with only a negative feedback.

I am no longer after the payment for my service but I wanted to redeem myself and would like to have that negative feedback taken out of my profile. I have all the evidences (chat logs) to prove my point.

Thanks and more power to Upwork!

Regards,

Darvin

Thanks! This, in deed, is the best, unbiased answer to my query. I really learned my lesson here and would want to improve on what I needed to improve. Thanks again. I hope there are more open-minded people like you.

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
18 of 22

re: "Be nice and polite with your clients."

Excellent advice.

Let me go further.

ALWAYS be polite.

Even with scammers.

Yes, really.

What if they're not a scammer?

And you were rude to them?

Always be polite.

It reflects badly on ALL of us when one of us is rude.

I make more money, and you make money, when all contractors are polite to all clients. Even to clients who make mistakes. Even to bad clients. Even to fake clients.

You can say "no" to somebody (such as a scammer), but do so politely.

darvintan912
19 of 22

This is noted, sir. Thanks!

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
20 of 22

play_title.png

For some reason, this looks like the title of a David Mamet play I would like to see on Broadway.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS