🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Client claiming a refund against Upwork via h...
Page options
darrenwall74
Community Member

Client claiming a refund against Upwork via his credit card company

A friendly past client has been in touch to warn me that he tried to get Upwork's support against an agency he hired to do web development. However, as Upwork didn't move quickly enough for him, he turned to his credit card provider.

That, the client has told me, has led to freelancers he has worked with being asked to give refunds for work he has signed off on and given positive feedback. It appears his credit card provider is taking no prisoners!!

Here's what he told me:
"I seeked UpWork's help disputing the work of the web agency and they were as helpful as a cold iron!! so I contacted American Express and they are pretty rude less and have reversed most of the charges however they have reversed them with UpWork and not with the agency in Ukraine (as all the payments have gone through UpWork) so they must be trying to cover their own back!! Not entirely sure, I appears you can't call UpWork, support is all through a ticket system so just waiting to hear from them."

I have yet to hear from Upwork about this, but I fear that I may be requested to give a refund for work approved in June.

Can anyone advise me on this?

2 REPLIES 2
ashrafkhan81
Community Member

I am not entirely sure what happens in the case of an Agency, but it is likely they will try to recover funds from either the Agency or Freelancer. 

But if it is the Agency, and since Agencies charge clients a lot more than what they pay to the Freelancers, they may be required to contribute their respective share. even if the Agency is held responsible for the refund, the agency will naturally ask the freelancer to refund the project amount. 

But one thing is sure, your client's Client account will get suspended because of the chargeback. 

lysis10
Community Member

The client is an idiot but you should stop working with him for that reason and because he's about to get suspended if he isn't already.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members