cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Client claiming he never worked with me. I have hourly proof, payment @ work to prove otherwise!

Ace Contributor
Jenny G Member Since: May 16, 2019
1 of 36

This is too weird!!

Back in end of May, early June of last year I worked for a client, creating graphic ads for his Amazon page for a product he was selling. It was a super-fun project, it was hourly and I cranked out quite a bunch of advertisements for him in just 10 hours total. It was a great relationship, or so I thought. 

After the last thing I turned in, I asked if he needed anymore and he said that he had an issue with Amazon, so hold off for now. Well, I never heard back from him, several months later. So just yesterday, I got a ping from Upwork saying that he closed the contract. OK, no problem. And then I was asked to rate him. I did,..I gave him 5 stars! I had a great time, he paid on time and I got some awesome samples to show for it! Win, Win!!

Cut to today, I see that he rated me as only 3 stars, claiming that he "never worked with this contractor". WTF??? Why would a client do that? What can I do about it? I've messaged him and showed him proof of the work, as well as screen grabs from his Amazon product page with my creative ads right on it!!! Is there an official complaint I can report this client to? Can someone at Upwork intervene on my behalf?

I'm just gobsmacked that a client would do this to someone whom they lavished praise on and PAID!!!

Interested to know what to do about this and if it has happened to anyone else?

I have a link to the Amazon page and backup.

Thanks -- Jenny

Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
2 of 36

Dementia is a hellavu drug.

Welcome to the internets where everyone is a model and a millionnaire entrepreneur. xD

Community Guru
Will L Member Since: Jul 9, 2015
3 of 36

Jenny,

That's clearly unfair, but it's yet another reason for freelancers not to let dormant clients stay dormant for many months on end.

Upwork ought to notify client and freelancer after a period of complete inactivity on a project and notify them that the project will be closed if both client and freelancer don't show interest in any further work together.

Until that new feature is introduced by Upwork, you'll have to take charge of a situation like this before a lazy/clueless/forgetful client does such a thing again.

Community Guru
Jennifer R Member Since: Sep 15, 2017
4 of 36

Will L wrote:

Jenny,

That's clearly unfair, but it's yet another reason for freelancers not to let dormant clients stay dormant for many months on end.

Upwork ought to notify client and freelancer after a period of complete inactivity on a project and notify them that the project will be closed if both client and freelancer don't show interest in any further work together.

Until that new feature is introduced by Upwork, you'll have to take charge of a situation like this before a lazy/clueless/forgetful client does such a thing again.

I have an ongoing contract with a client that requires some updates every few months. I would hate the get messaged all the time because of an inactive contract. I seriously hope there won't be a new feature spamming my clients.

Ace Contributor
Jenny G Member Since: May 16, 2019
5 of 36

Good point. I've checked in with all my open clients recently and they all responded kindly, saying no work needed at the moment, but I'm still on their contract if they need anything. 

But I've checked in with this client a few weeks ago and never heard back.

I'll tell clients that they should just close up.

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
6 of 36

It seems entirely possible that the person who wrote "I did not work with this contractor" is telling the truth.

You may have worked with someone else using the same client account.

I'm sorry about the 3 star rating. But in all honesty, the comment itself ("I did not work with this contractor") doesn't really seem "bad" per se. It just makes it seem like there is some sort of disconnect.

Community Guru
Richard S Member Since: Mar 12, 2019
7 of 36

Preston H wrote:

It seems entirely possible that the person who wrote "I did not work with this contractor" is telling the truth.

It seems entirely possible and more than likely that it isn't.

You may have worked with someone else using the same client account.

I'm sorry about the 3 star rating. But in all honesty, the comment itself ("I did not work with this contractor") doesn't really seem "bad" per se. It just makes it seem like there is some sort of disconnect.

No the comment doesn't seem so bad, but the rating does. If the client hasn't worked with the freelancer, what justification do they have to leave such a poor rating? 'Hey, I've never worked with you before, but you suck at what you do!'...with all the implications for the freelancer's JSS.

But that's all ok apprently.

Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
8 of 36

Why is everyone against this freelancer? The client clearly does not remember who she is and gives her a 3/5 feedback which seems pretty poor in relation to her input. 

If the OP was paid and received (eventually) feedback, the client cannot deny her existence. It is my feeling that the client fell foul of Amazon and is trying to cover his tracks. 

Community Leader
Anna T Member Since: Jan 27, 2017
9 of 36

Nichola L wrote:

It is my feeling that the client fell foul of Amazon and is trying to cover his tracks. 

Good point!

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
10 of 36

re: "Why is everyone against this freelancer?"

Nobody here is against the freelancer.

Thread participants are simply trying to figure out what happened.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS