cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Client claiming he never worked with me. I have hourly proof, payment @ work to prove otherwise!

Ace Contributor
Jenny G Member Since: May 16, 2019
11 of 36

Thanks. I have an extremely large message thread from when we worked together and proof of my timesheet and payment. As well as my graphics on his Amazon product page!!

**edited for Community Guidelines**

Ace Contributor
12 of 36

And I did the work and the proof is still up on the Amazon page too!

He posted a few of my designs on the side:

**edited for Community Guidelines**

Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
13 of 36

Nichola L wrote:

Why is everyone against this freelancer? The client clearly does not remember who she is and gives her a 3/5 feedback which seems pretty poor in relation to her input. 

If the OP was paid and received (eventually) feedback, the client cannot deny her existence. It is my feeling that the client fell foul of Amazon and is trying to cover his tracks. 

I don't think anyone is "against" the freelancer, but it seems the most likely explanation is that there was a staffing change and the person now handling the account is unfamiliar with this freelancer (happens all the time). The client likely chose 3s thinking of them as neutral since he/she had no basis for rating the freelancer, and made the note "I never worked with this freelancer" to explain that he/she didn't have that basis.

Because on Upwork anything less than 5/5 reads as "worst experience of my life," it's unfortunately damaging to the freelancer. But, the client likely doesn't know that. And, there's no reason in the world to assume that the person who wrote that comment was either lying or incorrect. 

Ace Contributor
14 of 36

It really hurt because I did a good job for him and he praised me with each piece of work I turned in for him.

Community Leader
Anna T Member Since: Jan 27, 2017
15 of 36

That's nuts.

If you didn't work for the client why is the project there?  How was he able to rate you?  And how did he arrive at 3 stars?  How did the 8 hours add upr?  I'd be most concerned if a new client, unfamiliar with the platform, were to see that, it certainly looks like something is wrong with the freelancer.

I dont care if the client actually worked with you or not.  Someone is in charge of that account and they need to change that feedback.  If not, at the very least Upwork needs to remove it.  It's false.

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
16 of 36

If I was asked to rate a freelancer that I couldn't remember, I would leave the written feedback blank, and just leave all 5-star ratings, without thinking about it.

As someone familiar with the Upork system, I don't see any justification for doing otherwise.

But I can imagine a scenario in which a client receives a message asking to leave a rating, and isn't very familiar with Upwork, and doesn't remember the freelancer (or never worked with her), and figures that the best way to leave feedback is "split the difference" by leaving scores right in the middle of the available range.

That doesn't mean it was the right thing to do, and such imaginings don't change the original poster's current situation. But it strikes me as a possible explanation for what happened.

Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
17 of 36

Preston H wrote:

If I was asked to rate a freelancer that I couldn't remember, I would leave the written feedback blank, and just leave all 5-star ratings, without thinking about it.

As someone familiar with the Upork system, I don't see any justification for doing otherwise.

But I can imagine a scenario in which a client receives a message asking to leave a rating, and isn't very familiar with Upwork, and doesn't remember the freelancer (or never worked with her), and figures that the best way to leave feedback is "split the difference" by leaving scores right in the middle of the available range.

That doesn't mean it was the right thing to do, and such imaginings don't change the original poster's current situation. But it strikes me as a possible explanation for what happened.

So that's what you would have done - so what? The OP finds this client's behaviour weird and so do I. 

However, you do have a point about not allowing any contract to remain open for too long.

One does wonder about this client's alarmingly short-term memory - so short that he has no recall whatsoever of this FL's existence. It shouldn't, surely, have taken too much effort on the client's part to have checked the message rooms in order to redress  this alarming lacuna? 

Community Leader
Julie J Member Since: Jan 28, 2019
18 of 36

Upwork should remove this feedback as proven by the paid contract and logged hours, it's obviously not true. 

Ace Contributor
19 of 36

Thank you for this!

Is there a place I can report this, with all of my messages, proof, graphics, links as backup!

I really don't want this 3 star thing on my profile. It will hurt me.

Ace Contributor
20 of 36

And I messaged him this morning asking what was up. I have heard nothing back from him.
It seems so weird, because we got along great during the few days I worked for him. 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS