🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Client closed hourly contract
Page options
shimaal
Community Member

Client closed hourly contract

Hi.

The client has opened a contract. He needed advice on integrating the payment system. Within 2 hours I explained how and what should be done (I know the question about which was being discussed very well). As a result, the client closed the contract with the wording that he did not understand what I was explaining to him.

I didn’t have time to set the hours for work.

As I understand it, I cannot open a dispute. What should I do in this case?

6 REPLIES 6
petra_r
Community Member

Alexey S wrote:

I didn’t have time to set the hours for work.

What should I do in this case?

Nothing. Why didn't you track the time so you would bve paid?

shimaal
Community Member

I have already done many projects, including those with hourly pay, but I always added hours manually, coordinating with the client. Faced with this for the first time.

Can I write feedback on this client with an assessment of his work with a precaution for the rest?

petra_r
Community Member

Alexey S wrote:

Can I write feedback on this client with an assessment of his work with a precaution for the rest?

No, because you weren't paid, so no feedback shows on the profile.

kinector
Community Member

Alexey, if the client is intending NOT to pay you, what Petra is saying is what will happen. You'll never hear from this guy again and your 2h were spent on doing free work. Better process next time.

But if the client is a normal honest and decent person, you can try to explain the situation with the most polite and supportive tone that they should pay what was agreed. (I'm assuming you created some kind of expectation before accepting the offer. If not, the trick below might not work.)

If you think the client is good, try sending a message that:
- asks whether or not the client found the solution and if their problem was resolved
- says you were so focused on solving their problem that you forgot to press Start on the Time Tracker app (you could add the link from Support pages that explains how hourly contracts work... and please note I don't post the link here as I think it's better for you to find it yourself I'm sure)
- apologizes for the mix-up and ask if the client couldn't settle the balance by paying a bonus (with a link showing how to do it) ... and if I were you I might want to do a small round-down to make it a bit more acceptable and client-oriented than it is

If the client is new to Upwork, include those links. If not, you probably don't need to. They know already how this works.

Try this? 👍

And if you do, please let me know if it worked. Quite curious. 😉
shimaal
Community Member

Thanks for the suggestion Mikko.

I already wrote to the client. She just wrote that thanks for your time and looks forward to cooperation in the future.

In the contract, I have the opportunity to leave private feedback.

Most likely I will use this.

Will be a lesson for me in the future.

prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "What should I do in this case?"

Learn from your mistakes so that you don't make the same mistakes again in the future.

A client may end a contract at any time. A client is not doing anything wrong by ending a contract suddenly.

As a freelancer, it is my responsibility to record my hours.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths