🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Client closed the contract and asked for ...
Page options
catnapper
Community Member

Client closed the contract and asked for refund, how does it affect jss

Hello!

I have had a client who ordered a book from me. His requirements at the moment of opening the job were clear, but after funding the money they have changed (from 30 illustrations to 60, he also asked me to invent the story and provide the first illustrations in two days, which we have not discussed earlier). After I have sent him the sketches, he asked "but where is the scenario" which made me confused as I am an illustrator, not a writer. I kindly responded that he needs to clarify what he needs, what is the timeline, and how many images he wants. I have provided some sample pages, character sketches and described how the project can run successfully, he asked for time to think about it, and the day after he closed the contract without any discussion, writing that he is facing personal problems. In my opinion, he had no idea what he wanted to order, or maybe he found somebody else, but it does not matter. What matters for me is- how it will affect my jss? I have many long-term clients, so I am not worried for now, but I would not want to have problems because of this in the future. I have found on the community board that if he pays me a bonus project won't be considered as not paid and it will save me somehow, and the client agreed to pay me this bonus.  Also, I am thinking if to leave him bad feedback, as I would not like to do this, yet his behavior was not quite professional, so in this case, I use not to write anything, it is strange as usually after a full refund there is no "leave feedback" option, which is now appearing, and as he is unpredictable I am worried what could he have written there.

4 REPLIES 4
petra_r
Community Member

Krystyna N wrote:

I have found on the community board that if he pays me a bonus project won't be considered as not paid and it will save me somehow, and the client agreed to pay me this bonus. 

Whether the client pays a bonus or not is basically irrelevant, what has the effect on the JSS is the private feedback the client (has already) left when he cancelled the contract. 

If nothing has been paid, neither party can leave public feedback, only private feedback.

After some (anything over $1) payment has been made, both parties can also leave public feedback.

Thank you for the response. My jss did not change from yesterday, does it mean that the client left me good private feedback- is his feedback affecting jss immediately, or is it calculated after a time?

Krystyna N wrote:

Thank you for the response. My jss did not change from yesterday, does it mean that the client left me good private feedback- is his feedback affecting jss immediately, or is it calculated after a time?

It only gets updates once every 14 days, on a Sunday afternoon/evening UTC, so whatever effect this contract has on your JSS won't show until after it has updated tomorrow evening UTC.

Other than that I agree with Christine.

feed_my_eyes
Community Member

Krystyna N wrote:

I have found on the community board that if he pays me a bonus project won't be considered as not paid and it will save me somehow, and the client agreed to pay me this bonus.  

It used to be the case that a contract with no payment would negatively impact your JSS, but they recently changed it, so that advice no longer applies. If a client pays you anything at all, then they can leave public and private feedback, whereas if they pay nothing, they can only leave private feedback (which is what hurts your JSS the most). 

Why don't you leave honest feedback for the client, then you'll be able to see the feedback that he left you? Then you can decide whether you want to refund the bonus (to remove the public feedback) or wait for the next JSS update and use your top-rated perk to remove the private feedback, if necessary. (It probably won't have a big impact on your JSS; as long as you're above 90%, it's fine.)

In the future, I would advise asking more questions before you agree to work with someone. You say that his requirements were clear, but if somebody wanted to hire me to illustrate a book, one of the first questions I would ask is, "What is the book about?" In this case, the client would have said, "I don't know - I expect you to write the book as well" and then you could have turned it down at that point (!).

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths