🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Client closed the contract because I missed t...
Page options
hellokitty91
Community Member

Client closed the contract because I missed the deadline

Hello

A client sent me work to do, I started working on the project but I missed the deadline. The client waited, so I completed a part of it and sent it to him. Then I took more time to finish the rest of the work. On Friday, I told my client that the work is almost finished and that I'm working on the layout. Today client ended the contract and requested a refund.

So I told him that the work is already done and I sent it to him.

Will I still get paid for the work I've sent before and after the refund request.

Kind regards,

9 REPLIES 9
petra_r
Community Member

Boutheina H wrote:

Hello

A client sent me work to do, I started working on the project but I missed the deadline.

Today client ended the contract and requested a refund.

So I told him that the work is already done and I sent it to him.

Why would you expect to be paid for a contract you failed to fulfil? Whatever you sent after the deadline is irrelevant.

Hi Petra

Thank you for your response.

Client has already received a part of the work before ending the contract, and I think he has also received the rest of the work.

Shouldn't I get paid for the work I have sent?

Kind regards,

Boutheina H wrote:

Hi Petra

Thank you for your response.

Client has already received a part of the work before ending the contract, and I think he has also received the rest of the work.

Kind regards,

If it were me and I missed the client's deadline, I would definitely give them a refund. 

Boutheina H wrote:

Client has already received a part of the work before ending the contract

Generally, whatever was delivered after the deadline might as well not have been delivered.

Boutheina H wrote:

Not if it was delivered after the deadline, no.

Client has already accepted the first part even when it was past deadline and then he waited for the second part which he has also received but after closing the contract.

Boutheina H wrote:

Client has already accepted the first part even when it was past deadline and then he waited for the second part which he has also received but after closing the contract.

We're not the ones that you need to convince. If your client wants a refund and decides to open a dispute and eventually go to arbitration, then he does have a case, don't you think?

Boutheina H wrote:

The client didn't accept anything because he/she closed the contract and asked for a refund.  You didn't deliver either part before deadline.  It doesn't matter what you delivered after the client closed.  Unfortunately you won't be getting your money.  

Some takeaways for the next project:

* Make sure you are realistic in your deliverable dates.  If you aren't able to make a deadline, make sure communicate this with the client immediately.

* Never submit work without a contract.  If it's a fixed-price agreement, you need a milestone with funds in escrow.  

Good luck!

Thank you all for the responses.

Hi Robin

Client ended the contract because he thought he wouldn't receive the work today. I have sent him the files and told him that we should settle the payment but he just didn't say anything. He never mentionned not paying after receiving the files.

Thank you so much for the takeaways, I just sent him the files because I didn't want to delay his work any further.

Kind regards,

If I understand correctly, you sent part of the work but received no payment. Then, you sent the last part of the work after the deadline. You will have to wait to see if the client chooses to pay you now that he has received the work. 

I think the answer you'll get is that if the first part had value for which you should have been paid, then you should have had a separate milestone for that. If the only value is in the entire deliverable arriving on time, then the client didn't receive that value and should not pay. (These things should be negotiated in advance.) 

The client may choose to pay you even though you missed the deadline but I don't think you can insist as you didn't deliver on time. If the client doesn't pay for the work, it belongs to you. 

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members