cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Client communicating outside of Upwork

Krista W Member Since: Jan 17, 2017
1 of 7

I recently received a request to interview for a new job but the client has unclear payment terms and wants to take our conversations outside of Upwork.

Do you recommend only agreeing to a contract using the Upwork chat platform or is it okay to exchange emails with a client at the beginning of a new contract?

I just don't want to get scammed into doing a bunch of work and then not getting paid.

Thank you.

Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
2 of 7

You can communicate with your client off site, but any work/payment must be effected through Upwork.

Circumvention is a big no-no on Upwork, and if your client suggests it you should report him/her (with proof) to customer support.

And don't work.on trust. If the client says, "of course I will pay you through Upwork, but do the work now", walk away.

Community Guru
Kathy T Member Since: Jul 17, 2015
3 of 7

@Krista W wrote:

I recently received a request to interview for a new job but the client has unclear payment terms and wants to take our conversations outside of Upwork.

It's perfectly fine to communicate outside of Upwork either my personal email, chat messengers,  phone calls or by Skype. Make sure though that you copy all communication just in case a problem comes up.

Do you recommend only agreeing to a contract using the Upwork chat platform or is it okay to exchange emails with a client at the beginning of a new contract?

The contract you agree on, HAS to be on on this site. Do NOT go by any contract they send you, or by word of mouth saying "you;re hired." When you agree to that contract it should show under the My Jobs section. If it doesn't you don't have a contract, (you haven't been "officially" hired.

I just don't want to get scammed into doing a bunch of work and then not getting paid.

Once you've been hired through HERE. make sure BEFORE you start work that not only is the clients account verified, but that they FULLY funded escrow either for the whole job or for each milestone's amount BEFORE you start working. If that isn't done, and you do the work and send it to the client you will not get paid.

Thank you.

Boris Z Member Since: Nov 30, 2018
4 of 7

Hi everyone,
I found all your comments helpful but still I am not sure about my dilemma.

I have a contract now and everything is clear with the client: payments go through upwork.
But the clients feels confused by the upwork chat & video conferences.

So is it a 100% no upwork violation to take my communication on another platform such as skype?

Thanks

Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
5 of 7

Hi Boris, 

I would like to confirm that communicating outside of Upwork is not in violation of the Upwork Terms of Service. I would recommend that you recap any salient parts of the conversation through the Upwork Messaging system for transparency, and in case the team needs to review your messages. 

-Avery
Untitled
Shoaib A Member Since: May 17, 2018
6 of 7

My communication on skype and i have no contract on upwork with client, can client report my skype chat to upwork as voilation? thanks in advance .

Bojan S Moderator Member Since: Mar 9, 2018
7 of 7

Hi Shoaib,

While we recommend keeping communication on Upwork, it's allowed to also use other means to communicate with clients. All payments need to be made on Upwork!

I do however advise you to copy all the files and communication into the contract's message room after each conversation and ask your client for acknowledgment, in order to keep a record in case a problem arises.

It's important to note that you should never start working without an active contract, which would show in your "My Jobs" tab, and should always submit your work through Upwork, even if you have already sent the files/updates to the client through email/Skype etc.

Thank you!

~ Bojan
Untitled
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS