🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Client communication before proposal
Page options
sy_mulay
Community Member

Client communication before proposal

Is it possible to seek clarification from a client before submitting proposal?

Clients don't always put a lot of detail in job. Some don't even specify technologies to be used. I would like to submit proposals only if I am confident about completing the job. It would be nice to understand the job requirements without  wasting connects.

4 REPLIES 4
martina_plaschka
Community Member

Shrinivas M wrote:

Is it possible to seek clarification from a client before submitting proposal?

Clients don't always put a lot of detail in job. Some don't even specify technologies to be used. I would like to submit proposals only if I am confident about completing the job. It would be nice to understand the job requirements without  wasting connects.

Clients that put vague language into their job postings would probably not be happy to answer hundreds of questions from freelancers, so I think even if the functionality was there, it would be of little use. 

Just stick to the job postings that contain all the information you need to be comfortable applying and skip the rest. 

rolludesig
Community Member

yes it is very much needed..if clients want to avoid hundred of freelancers putting questions they should stick to basics and put all information..as simple as that..

just dont always think of clients , freelancers are equally important 

wlyonsatl
Community Member

Shrinivas,

Depending on your specialty, it can be common that the clients themselves don't really know what they need. I include a set series of questions in every proposal I make, which might overwhelm some clients (the ones I would likely not want to work with anyway) but often results in summary or detailed responses from potential clients and the beginning of a useful dialogue.

But if a freelancer's average project is usually low-priced or they have a low response rate on their proposals, it's now very expensive (too expensive?) to spend money on all the connects need to make a large number of proposals that ask alot of questions. Which is why Upwork thinks the substantial increase in the price of connects will reduce the number of average proposals submitted on many new projects.

tlbp
Community Member

It is possible that Upwork has chosen to 'teach' clients how to post gigs by allowing them to experience the consequences of poor practices.

Under the pay-for-connects system, a prospective client who doesn't post a clear job description should not receive many (if any) bids from qualified freelancers. They will then either leave the platform unsatisfied or learn to write better job descriptions. 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths