Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Client courtesy concerning invites

Highlighted
Community Leader
Richard H Member Since: Aug 22, 2015
1 of 3

I'd like to propose a slight addition to the screen page that clients see when creating a job posting that includes the statement......IF YOU SEND AN “INVITE TO INVERVIEW” request to a contractor then please have the courtesy to reply back. I've always considered an “interview” to involve 2 people.

Evidently that's not a universal definition. .Several times, I've replied to potential client's invite and they never respond at all. Why bother inviting someone if you won't even respond to their comments or questions. I realize clients get a list of recommended contractors and there is probably a button they can click that says “invite to interview” and maybe there's another one that says “invite to apply” and they don't understand the difference..

Can someone let me know what a client sees?

Granted, I don't get that many “invites” compared to other people, but most of the ones I get do turn into actual jobs. Since this invite falls on the heals of another interview that stretched out over a month, (only to find out the client is changing the conditions of the project) kind of pushed me over the edge.

Oh well. I've made my monthly rant. Now back to work...

Highlighted
Community Guru
Melissa T Member Since: Dec 5, 2014
2 of 3

Richard, I hear what you're saying, but it's like asking Upwork to teach people manners. Some clients are going to be great at communication and follow though. Some are going to be bad at it. The same thing happens in face-to-face client relationships. If Upwork set defaults on all aspects of good client manners it would take the clients an hour to post a single job. I think we have to chalk this one up to "things that are part of freelancing in general and not specific to Upwork".

Highlighted
Community Leader
Richard H Member Since: Aug 22, 2015
3 of 3

I really didn't expect Upwork to do implement my suggestion. It was meant as a reminder for any "client" reading this to show a little bit of respect and consideration when they want a contractor to respond to their job listing.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS