🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Client creating new contracts without clo...
Page options
j-endaya
Community Member

Client creating new contracts without closing previous ones?

I have a client who's been assigning me work on an ongoing basis, the thing is he keeps creating contracts for each new job without closing the previous ones, which means I've been slowly amassing a pile of small open contracts that no longer need any work done on them. I've read that having too many of these can hinder your rating over time, and I'm fairly new to the platform so I want to tread lightly on anything that could give me a bad rating right off the bat, so what would be the best approach to handle this?

I've reminded the client to close the finished contracts twice, which has led to him closing one out of three contracts the first time and flat-out ignoring me the second.

I'd close them myself but I'm worried about how having a long string of small jobs with no feedback might reflect poorly on me to future clients.

And should I ask the client to switch to adding milestones instead of contracts to avoid accumulating even more idle jobs?

I'd appreciate any insight!
2 REPLIES 2
petra_r
Community Member

Joe E wrote:
And should I ask the client to switch to adding milestones instead of contracts to avoid accumulating even more idle jobs?

ABSOLUTELY! You don't want all those dirt cheap contracts on your profile, it is bad marketing.

You need to get those contracts closed - If you fall out with a client you have many open contracts with, they can close all your contracts with damning feedback and your profile and metrics might never, ever recover from that

j-endaya
Community Member

Yeah that's a good point, I'll ask to switch to milestones once the current job's done.

And oh man, I definitely want to avoid that scenario so I guess I should just bite the bullet and close the contracts myself if the client doesn't get around to it.

Thanks for the help!

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths