Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Client declined to pay after work.

shivam207garg
Shivam G Member Since: Jan 15, 2018
1 of 13

Hi,

My recent client **Edited for Community Guidelines**, declined to pay me. He is saying that there is palg in content. But I checked thoroughly, there is not even 1% plag. Please suggest me how to deal with this situation. 

colettelewis
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
2 of 13

Shivam,

Did you have a formal Upwork contract in place? Either hourly using the tracker or fixed-rate with escrow funded? 

shivam207garg
3 of 13

Yes, I have formal contract. Its fixed rate and escrow funded. But client directly says that he will not pay to me.

g_vasilevski
Goran V Moderator Member Since: Mar 24, 2017
4 of 13

Hi Shivam,

After 14 days the funds will be transferred to your account if no actions are taken on the milestone. Keep in mind that if you resubmit the work again you will reset the 14 days period. To learn more details about fixed price protection, check out this Help Article. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork
shivam207garg
5 of 13

But client message me that he will not pay. Can he end the contract without paying?

colettelewis
Community Guru
BEST ANSWER
6 of 13

@Shivam G wrote:

But client message me that he will not pay. Can he end the contract without paying?

If he says he's not going to pay you then he has to open a dispute first.

If he does this, you don't have many options. You can suggest to the client that you correct or change the work you have done. You can refund the client, and your feedback will not show publicly, but could impact your JSS. Or you can refuse to refund the client and take the dispute to arbitration and the case will be decided externally. This is expensive though. 

If the client does not pay you for the work you have done, the work remains your property and you can use it as a portfolio piece or resell it, and request a takedown if the client uses it on the internet. However, it does have to be your own, original work. 

View solution in original post

shivam207garg
7 of 13

Thankyou for the solution. 

colettelewis
Community Guru
8 of 13

@Shivam G wrote:

Thankyou for the solution. 

Well, it's not really a solution, just what could happen. You will have to wait and see. When did you submit the work? 

colettelewis
Community Guru
9 of 13

@Nichola L wrote:

@Shivam G wrote:

If he says he's not going to pay you then he has to open a dispute first.

If he does this, you don't have many options. You can suggest to the client that you correct or change the work you have done. You can refund the client, and your feedback will not show publicly, but could impact your JSS. Or you can refuse to refund the client and take the dispute to arbitration and the case will be decided externally. This is expensive though. 

If the client does not pay you for the work you have done, the work remains your property and you can use it as a portfolio piece or resell it, and request a takedown if the client uses it on the internet. However, it does have to be your own, original work. 

Shivam, I forgot to add, just in case this turns out badly for you and and your JSS gets badly hit,you can use your top-rated perk to have all the feedback (public and private removed). If your JSS drops below 90, and lose your TR status, you must use your perk within two weeks of losing it. But only use the perk if you absolutely have to. 

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
10 of 13

@Shivam G wrote:

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

Yes, the client can ask for his funds back and you can open a dispute. If the dispute is not resolved you may pay $ 291 to have it decided by an arbitrator.

What is it with those dozens of hotel review jobs you have done? Stay in hotels an awful lot?

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS