Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Client did not close contract

Highlighted
Community Leader
Alexandr M Member Since: Jan 11, 2016
1 of 19

One of my clients simply disappeared after I have delivered work to him. After 3 days of waiting I asked him about payment approval, end contract and feedback. He made the approval of work, sorried, and promised me to end the contract. But actually 25 days left - and nothing except money..

I'm the only one freelancer in his work history, he is from United States, and looks like his time cost at least 10x more than mine. But anyway I need to get the contract ended and get feedback leaved to me (to avoid JSS looses). I have quite fresh expirience with loosing JSS, couse I had finished many contracts without asking clients about it.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
2 of 19

Just close it yourself.

Highlighted
Community Leader
3 of 19

Just close it yourself.

Than I will loose Job Success Score. 

I have expirience with loosing Job Success Score couse of closing contracts at my own without asking clients about it.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Dawn L Member Since: Sep 3, 2015
4 of 19

I was in the same boat you are in. Had a contract sitting idle for nearly three months because the client never came back - not even to pay, and didn't even respond to Upwork when they contacted the client on my behalf. I got paid eventually (thanks to Upwork, and the fact that the milestone was funded before I started work), but since the client didn't close the contract, I was afraid to close it myself for the same reasons you are.

If you have enough jobs to counteract the repercussions of closing the job yourself, then close it yourself. Long term contracts will also help to cushion the drop in JS. I just closed that contact last week, because I got some good advice and honestly, was sick of seeing it in my list. I won't know how it will affect my JS for another week or so, but after thinking about it (again, after some good advice), I figure it should be okay considering where my JS is right now, the number of ongoing contracts I have, and any other jobs that I happen to get between now and then.

My advice... try landing one or two long-term gigs and close that  dead contract. Your JS is going to be affected no matter how you look at it,  the difference is: how much of a drop do you think you'll take by keeping it compared to closing it. Like the person who gave me advice told me, the sooner you end the contract, the sooner it will roll off your 6-month window.

Highlighted
Community Leader
5 of 19

))..

Actually I can write him again)). 70% he will read it. But probably will not be happy..

I know.. it's okay to have some contracts closed at my own without feedbacks, but I have a lot of them already.

I have an option to write something to client. 70% he will read it. But I don't know what to write))).

I think he simply don't want to spend 5-10 minutes to write something.. but looks like he does not know that it's optional (marks just okay).

Highlighted
Community Guru
6 of 19

Sometimes, I think providers lose points for being annoying about this stuff. 1 or 2 messages are OK, but after that it's probably best to leave them alone.

Highlighted
Community Leader
7 of 19

@Jennifer M wrote:

Sometimes, I think providers lose points for being annoying about this stuff. 1 or 2 messages are OK, but after that it's probably best to leave them alone.

it's the main reason why I simply don't go to write again)) 

Highlighted
Community Guru
8 of 19

Yep, I just close them myself. I actually don't ask anyone to close contracts. I just do it. Whatever. Maybe one day it will hit me but meh.

Highlighted
Community Leader
9 of 19

)), Probably most of your clients have huge expirience with Upwork - most of them like to leave feedbacks (it's not a secret why they like it).

Most of my clients have no expirience with Upwork. Some of them simply don't know which button press to make job offer)).

Highlighted
Community Guru
Sandra T Member Since: Nov 26, 2014
10 of 19

Hi Alexandr,

I understand about clients who don't have any experience on how to use Upwork, I've been struggling with a couple of those myself lately (they are good clients, but annoyed by the interface).

I never mention feedback, but if clients don't close contracts when they approve the last milestone, I usually send them a short message to thank them and that I would appreciate if they close the contract so that Upwork knows "that everything went well". This has always worked for me. Someone in the forum mentioned a little trick of saying something like "so that no further charges can be billed for this contract". The trick is to make it sound like that closing the contract limits the potential for further hassle Smiley Happy

If you have the feeling that the client doesn't know how to do it, you could send a simple screenshot of how to do it along with that message. This could be viewed as a bit pushy, but maybe a few clients would appreciate the instruction.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS