Did you mean: 

Client did not close contract

d_lidwell
Community Guru
Dawn L Member Since: Sep 3, 2015
11 of 19

@Sandra T wrote:

Hi Alexandr,

I never mention feedback, but if clients don't close contracts when they approve the last milestone, I usually send them a short message to thank them and that I would appreciate if they close the contract so that Upwork knows "that everything went well". This has always worked for me. Someone in the forum mentioned a little trick of saying something like "so that no further charges can be billed for this contract". The trick is to make it sound like that closing the contract limits the potential for further hassle Smiley Happy

That trick really only works on hourly contracts, as there's no way to "accidentally bill" a fixed-rate milestone once the client has paid the milestone in full but failed to close the contract/leave feedback. 

Just wanted to state the obvious, in case some people aren't aware of this lol.

st-leipzig
Community Guru
Sandra T Member Since: Nov 26, 2014
12 of 19

@Jennifer M wrote:

Sometimes, I think providers lose points for being annoying about this stuff. 1 or 2 messages are OK, but after that it's probably best to leave them alone.

I often think that too. This is not at all related to the OP, but from what I read here in the forum. I quite often end up thinking that if I was the client and the person who wrote the post was the freelancer, I might be inclined to leave not quite so positive feedback or to not bother at all. And I am not referring to posts with poor English or anything like that, rather overthinking and overcommunicating stuff. Clients want the job done, and the trick is to provide that in a way that makes them want to leave feedback.

a_miroshnichenko
Community Leader
Alexandr M Member Since: Jan 11, 2016
13 of 19

@Sandra T wrote:
Clients want the job done, and the trick is to provide that in a way that makes them want to leave feedback.

Some type of jobs is quite predictable.  If you have done it - just okay. if not - just bad. No emotions at all - no reasons to have desire to leave feedback. Actually if you client quite rich - he or she have many ways to get a lot of emotions that much higher than some job done perfect, good, or not at all.

I've made some filters for rich clients)). But I simply don't go to be hired for complecated jobs - it's usually complicated, but not well payed. I usually got hired for simple jobs by rich clients - they usually don't have any emotions at all about my job)) - so they don't have desire to leave feedback)) - job completed ideally - just okay. Most of them new at Upwork - so they simply don't know that it's bad for them not to leave feedbacks (expirienced clients know it).

a_miroshnichenko
Community Leader
14 of 19

@Sandra T wrote:
I quite often end up thinking that if I was the client and the person who wrote the post was the freelancer, I might be inclined to leave not quite so positive feedback or to not bother at all. 

Quite strange if freelancer does not ask for good feedback, but ask to end the contract and leave feedback.

Probably it would be solution if Upwork charged some fee at dayly basis from clients while they don't close contracts.

evetodew
Community Guru
Evelina H Member Since: Jan 29, 2015
15 of 19

Yeah, your JSS will drop a little, but if you land on a few more new jobs, then it will quickly pick up again. I don't believe it's possible to keep a stable JSS forever. It will always wobble up and down, and you have to accept that. Just close it yourself.

a_miroshnichenko
Community Leader
16 of 19

)) Last time it was 12% drop)). Yes, it had moved up again after next job with good feedback. This time job is 3x bigger))

Long contract.... does it at hourly basis only? Actually I don't like hourly contracts....

evetodew
Community Guru
Evelina H Member Since: Jan 29, 2015
17 of 19

Yes, it's a bit larger than your previous contracts, but I think you'll be fine. Once you get used to the JSS moving uncontrollably every two weeks, you'll get tired of bothering with it. You seem to be doing great so far, so it will always rise. I'd find a new contract as soon as possible, to minimize the negative effect of closing it, just like Dawn suggested. And move on.

jessicasimko
Community Guru
Jessica S Member Since: Dec 4, 2015
18 of 19

@Alexandr M wrote:

One of my clients simply disappeared after I have delivered work to him. After 3 days of waiting I asked him about payment approval, end contract and feedback. He made the approval of work, sorried, and promised me to end the contract. But actually 25 days left - and nothing except money..

I'm the only one freelancer in his work history, he is from United States, and looks like his time cost at least 10x more than mine. But anyway I need to get the contract ended and get feedback leaved to me (to avoid JSS looses). I have quite fresh expirience with loosing JSS, couse I had finished many contracts without asking clients about it.

This should NEVER have to be an issue that is here on this platform. Freelancers coming here all stressed out about what a client failed to do that ONLY punishes the freelancer.  Why in the world should this be something we have to stress out about and why does our JSS take a hit for it?

Upwork, please explain this to all of us, in clear plain English, and in a way that makes business sense.

a_miroshnichenko
Community Leader
19 of 19

A lot of Thanks to everyone replied. I have found a lot of interesting information.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS