🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Client did not pay
Page options
a6d9d3ed
Community Member

Client did not pay

Hello lovely people, I hope you are doing great. I want to understand what happened here.
- Client posted job

- I sent the proposal on February 06, 2021

- We had a chat and he sent an invite

- I accepted invitation and a new message room created

- I did a milestone then he said. I'm quoting his saying
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"I got flooded with animators. I will admit you got pretty close to what I was looking for, although kind of got far away from conveying the concepts in the article...

Nonetheless, I still believe I owe you for the sample, it's just at the moment, I'm broke and waiting on a loan to pass in order to pay people for their samples :/"
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
- I said; I'm quoting
No problem at all, you can pay what you think works for you and when ever you feel comfortable. I appreciate your communication and I also have a request and that is after sending payment you can end the contract with a feedback ( it is important for my success on upwork ) :blush: let me know if that's possible ?
Hoping to hear back from you.
Best regards,
Abdullah A.

- He said sure I can end with a good feedback.
- Now it's march 22 and 4 hours ago he just closed that job. Now he has closed the job and is offline.
- I texted him.
- Upwork system showed me that clientname is typing..... but then it vanished and no message recieved.

From the lovely people of this community I need advice. Should I let it go? or should I do something about it.
Thing is, I love upwork and I know upwork loves me. So I want to know what is good approach to handle this matter, so that I can keep working here and make my living. Love you all, you always help a lot. Heart

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
petra_r
Community Member

Sounds like you weren't actually hired, so the client couldn't pay you if they wanted to. If you'd have been hired and used the contract correctly, you'd have been long paid by now automatically.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "Client did not pay"

Abdullah:

This means that you did something wrong.

The problem here is not with the client. The problem is with the freelancer, who used the Upwork tool incorrectly.

You asked if you should let this go?
Of course you should let this go.

This is in the past.

You should stop communicating with this client and you should completely let go of any desire to receive money for the work that you did for this client.

In the future, do not make the same mistakes. Do not work for free.

petra_r
Community Member

Sounds like you weren't actually hired, so the client couldn't pay you if they wanted to. If you'd have been hired and used the contract correctly, you'd have been long paid by now automatically.

a6d9d3ed
Community Member

Thanks to both of you guys for reply. It would be better if clients can only create milestone after hiring. Otherwise it is best way to trick freelancers. I have no regret because I have learnt something here, but I think creating milestone without hiring gives them option to trick freelancers. Ofcourse freelancers can understand this platform only by using it.

I'm sure there must be a perfect logical reason why Upwork gives them this opportunity to create milestone before hiring and I'm also sure that need is more than freelancer's money and time.

Thanks for your response.

petra_r
Community Member

Abdullah A wrote:

Thanks to both of you guys for reply. It would be better if clients can only create milestone after hiring. 

But clients CAN only create milestones after hiring... If you have an active and funded milestone, simply submit the work through that milestone. That is how fixed rate contracts work. Why haven't you submitted?

The way you work fixed rate contracsts is you get an offer, you check how much money is funded in escrow in the milestone, then you do the work for that milestoone only, then you submit through the green "submit for payment" button on the contract. Then you get paid what is in escrow automatically after 14 days if the client doesn't approve the milestone beforehand.

a6d9d3ed
Community Member

Yes, that's exactly the right way to do it. At first I was doing the same way then I started providing work not by submit green button but simply giving files for review then clients say yes and pay me. You are right, we should always follow the steps for correct outcomes. Thanks for reminding me that I should do work professionally not "extra friendly". Thanks again. I hope if anyone goes through your response can understand what are dos and donts. Smiley Wink

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths