🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Client didn't answer for 2 months, and ca...
Page options
tomo9872
Community Member

Client didn't answer for 2 months, and canceles contract with no payment?!

Hello,

so the client that hired me for his new company logo canceled the contract and asks for all the money back..

So he wanted a logo for his company and I did the concept for the logo, after that he asked me for a different concept what I also did for him..after that he didn't reply to me for about a month. After a month of not replying he asked me for a totally different logo for a different company, after that he stoped replying and didn't reply for 2 months.. I got an notification from Upowrk that the client was not active on the project for 72 days and if he doesn't reply or anything in the next 2 weeks then I will get payed..after almost 2 weeks the client just ended the contract and asked for full money refund..

That was not ok with me because I did the logo concepts for him and he doesn't want to pay anything for my work.. and he didn't even want to message me, he just ended the contract witouth replying to me for 2 months.. I asked him if he thinks that I work for free? and on what bases he wants a full refund?

But of course he didn't answer.. I have 5 days to answer on his request for a refound

10 REPLIES 10
colettelewis
Community Member

DoTomo R wrote:

Hello,

so the client that hired me for his new company logo canceled the contract and asks for all the money back..

So he wanted a logo for his company and I did the concept for the logo, after that he asked me for a different concept what I also did for him..after that he didn't reply to me for about a month. After a month of not replying he asked me for a totally different logo for a different company, after that he stoped replying and didn't reply for 2 months.. I got an notification from Upowrk that the client was not active on the project for 72 days and if he doesn't reply or anything in the next 2 weeks then I will get payed..after almost 2 weeks the client just ended the contract and asked for full money refund..

That was not ok with me because I did the logo concepts for him and he doesn't want to pay anything for my work.. and he didn't even want to message me, he just ended the contract witouth replying to me for 2 months.. I asked him if he thinks that I work for free? and on what bases he wants a full refund?

But of course he didn't answer.. I have 5 days to answer on his request for a refound

Don't do it. Refuse the refund. Your client will dispute. If I were you I would take it to arbitration if necessary. You may take a hit on your ratings but this sort of blackmail is unacceptable. 

Agreed. You did the work, you should be paid for it. It's not your concern if the client decided they didn't want to use any of your designs (or whatever other reason they had for closing the contract). They still had you spend time and effort creating something for them, so they need to pay you.

Also, because they have no activity for two months and are well outside of any dispute window, they have absolutely no grounds to request a refund, and you should be under no obligation whatsoever to grant it.

I'm imagining something else that client might do:

Last December I was out with some friends. We went to see a movie. After that, we all went for pizza.

We all ate the pizza.

But I really want to buy a new T-shirt I saw online. I'm going to return to the pizzaria and ask for a refund on the pizza. I still have my receipt, so they should honor the request.

Michael S wrote:

Also, because they have no activity for two months and are well outside of any dispute window, they have absolutely no grounds to request a refund, and you should be under no obligation whatsoever to grant it.

It sounds to me like the client is requesting a refund of escrow funds, not of money already released to the freelancer. If so, it would be Tomo raising a dispute, not the client, so there is no "dispute window".

He didn't pay anything to me.. so what should I do now?

Should I do nothing about his request for full refund?

**Edited for community guidelines**

petra_r
Community Member

Tomo R wrote:

He didn't pay anything to me.. so what should I do now?

Should I do nothing about his request for full refund?

Did you do/finish the work and sent it to the client?

If not, approve the request

If yes, decline the request.

Simples

tomo9872
Community Member

Yes, I did two logo concepts for him.. I will decline the request, and he still doesn't answer..I hope I will not get a bad feedback, I have all 5.0 feedback from clients

petra_r
Community Member

Tomo R wrote:

Yes, I did two logo concepts for him.. I will decline the request, and he still doesn't answer..I hope I will not get a bad feedback, I have all 5.0 feedback from clients

The client did not ask for the funds back, the system did that when auto-closing the contract.

This will create a dispute, and if the client stays unresponsive, you get the money.

tomo9872
Community Member

Hello, here is what Upwork replyed to me: 

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

What does that mean, what is  that credit that I'm going to get?

Is that money?

Hi Tomo,

Yes that is correct, our team will issue a one time credit and resolve your dispute. If you have any additional questions feel free to follow up on your ticket and our team will assist you further. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths