🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Client didn't create final delivery milestone
Page options
rahman_ashfaqur
Community Member

Client didn't create final delivery milestone

Hello Upwork Community Members,

My client is asking for the Git Repo were all my client's work has been done and updated. He is asking for it and wants to check my code structure. But he didn't yet create the final milestone nor activated it. 

I need suggestions here. What should I do? Should I provide them the Git Repo Link? It contains all the code files and everything. 

Whereas no active milestone is there, they approved the first milestone only.

Looking forward to hearing from you soon. 

Best Regards,

Ashfaqur Rahman

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Ashfaqur R wrote:

Hello Abinadab,

Thanks for your response. My client did not activate or create the final delivery milestone. Final delivery here it, full code files of the project and Git Repo updated. So I think I shouldn't provide them any work until and unless they create the milestone.

Correct. Simply ask them to activate it. Don't mention "funding" or "depositing", just activate. Lol.

Like,

"Hey, could you activate the milestone so I can officially submit my work?"

Then check to see it was activated for the right dollar amount.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "Client didn't create final delivery milestone"

Clients are not obligated to create a final milestone.

If the client envisions 5 tasks, and creates funded milestones for only 4 of those tasks, then you (the freelancer) should do only the 4 funded tasks.

As a professional freelancer, you should of course make sure that you deliver ALL paid-for files and work to the client.

If the client wanted you to create:
File 1

File 2

File 3

...and then put those files in a Git Repo...

But the client only paid for you to create File 1, File 2 and File 3...

Then make sure you send those files to the client.
No matter what.

Because those files don't belong to you.

The client paid for those files.

You need to send those files to the client who paid for them.

If creating a Git Repo is supposed to be a milestone that the client pays you for, but the client has not set up a milestone to do so, then you are not obligated to do this.

BUT: You are ALLOWED to do so, as a way to provide customer service.

If the majority of the work is done now, and the only thing that is left is to put the files in a GitHub repo, and then you can close this project out... Then maybe you will go ahead and create the repo and upload the files there without waiting for the client to create a milestone for it.

Hello Preston,

Thanks for your response, the client created one milestone. After I started working on his project, he told me to send me the first 6 task files which I did and was telling me to send. 

So I used the Submit button to provide the code zip, and Git Repo link of only those 6 task files, not the full work. He did release a partial payment for that submission.

He told me, he will release the rest funds upon final delivery. Now my question is, Should I directly provide them the final delivery code files and Git Repo link whereas no other milestone is created for the final delivery task. He is telling me to update the code files and push it to Git Repo and update the codes there and provide him the Git link. And therefore after reviewing, he will release the rest funds available in Escrow.

Kindly let me know what should I do now for my final delivery step?

Thanks in advance

Ask him to activate the milestone.

Go to the project details and check the milestone in question. It must read "Active" before you can hope to get your money if the client ghosts you.

If it is either non-existent or not Active, you should discontinue all work until the client activates it for the right amount.

P.S.: Of course, you should make sure to deliver on previously funded milestones.

@rahman_ashfaqur wrote:

Should I directly provide them the final delivery code files and Git Repo link whereas no other milestone is created for the final delivery task.

In short, No, you should not. The milestone should be active before you can officially submit work for it and request payment.

Hello Abinadab,

Thanks for your response. My client did not activate or create the final delivery milestone. Final delivery here it, full code files of the project and Git Repo updated. So I think I shouldn't provide them any work until and unless they create the milestone.

Thanks again.

Ashfaqur R wrote:

Hello Abinadab,

Correct. Simply ask them to activate it. Don't mention "funding" or "depositing", just activate. Lol.

Like,

"Hey, could you activate the milestone so I can officially submit my work?"

Then check to see it was activated for the right dollar amount.

Thank you so much. Means a lot, I was really confused about it.

My philosophy is very simple about this:

If a client wants you to work on a task, then he funds an escrow payment for the task.

That is not complicated.

What if a client ASKS you to do a task, but has not funded an escrow payment for it?

Then you say: Yes, you will do that as soon as the escrow payment is funded (or "activated").

If a client doesn't fund the escrow payment, it means he doesn't really want you to do that task.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths