Client didn't pay on an hourly job, manual time.

I completed 6 hours for a client for an illustration. The project is manual time and I entered the time manually (I have had manual time jobs before so this was not a problem and I did it the right way). After I submitted the work to the client and asked him If he could pay me so I could end the contract, he did not respond. Now it's been more than a week.

What can I do?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Manual time gets automatically invoiced and charged to the client THE SAME as logged time on Monday after the work week ends.

Clients do no more have to "approve" or "pay" manual time than "properly logged time."

So provided the OP has actually entered the hours into the work diary as manual time or does so now if the contract is still open, he will get paid provided the client does not dispute.

Manual time is risky as any dispute or payment method failure from the client will automatically mean "no payment" - but as long as the hours are in the work diary by noon UTC tomorrow for the work week that ends at midnight UTC tonight,  the client will be charged for them tomorrow afternoon.

If the hours were from the previous week they would have been charged last Monday.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
colettelewis

@Fernando V wrote:

I completed 6 hours for a client for an illustration. The project is manual time and I entered the time manually (I have had manual time jobs before so this was not a problem and I did it the right way). After I submitted the work to the client and asked him If he could pay me so I could end the contract, he did not respond. Now it's been more than a week.

What can I do?

Other than contacting your client, there is nothing you can do, except hope that he will pay you. You are only protected by Upwork if you use the tracker on hourly jobs.

All you can do is a little damage limitation. If you do not get paid and your client uses your work, you still own the rights to your work and if you see it on the Internet you can get a DMCA on it. You would also be free to use it elsewhere. 

kat303

@Fernando V wrote:

What can I do? --Absolutly nothing. You can't do anything, Upwork can't do anything. This is not a client that you worked with before. Never base what you did before with a new client. Every client is a stranger you met on the internet. You were scammed. This client knew exactly what the outcome of manual hours would be. They knew they could just take the completed work and never have to pay.

You were very lucky with your past clients working this way. Very lucky. As you should know, (or if you don't know) manual hours are not protected by Upworks hourly payment guarantee. Only hours tracked with Time Tracker AND notations you type on the screen shots are guraranteed. If you used that, Upwork would have paid you what the client should have. IMO no matter if it worked out in the past, you should not take jobs that state MANUAL hours.

Never say never, but for me recording time manually is a last resort and I would only do so if I've worked with the client previously or the client has a substantial hiring history with good feedback.

@John K wrote:

Never say never, but for me recording time manually is a last resort and I would only do so if I've worked with the client previously or the client has a substantial hiring history with good feedback.

I didn't actually mean to appy, never say never, but IMO, even with a client that has a substantial hiring history and good feedback, if this is the first time you're working with them I would stay away from manual hours UNTIL I've built up a substantial working relationship and trust with them.

Manual time gets automatically invoiced and charged to the client THE SAME as logged time on Monday after the work week ends.

Clients do no more have to "approve" or "pay" manual time than "properly logged time."

So provided the OP has actually entered the hours into the work diary as manual time or does so now if the contract is still open, he will get paid provided the client does not dispute.

Manual time is risky as any dispute or payment method failure from the client will automatically mean "no payment" - but as long as the hours are in the work diary by noon UTC tomorrow for the work week that ends at midnight UTC tonight,  the client will be charged for them tomorrow afternoon.

If the hours were from the previous week they would have been charged last Monday.

@Petra R wrote:

Thanks Petra, so perhaps (hopefully) not such a disaster for the OP?

You are the only one who is absolutely clear on this. Can you be very kind and correct me (and add), so that I and others can keep this thread!

1) Clients cannot dispute if an hourly job is tracked?

2) Clients can dispute if an hourly job is entered manually?

I know about milestones, but for the record:

3) Clients can dispute milestones that have been funded and work submitted?

(Sorry to put this on you.)

@Nichola L wrote:

Can you be very kind and correct me (and add), so that I and others can keep this thread!

1) Clients cannot dispute if an hourly job is tracked?

2) Clients can dispute if an hourly job is entered manually?

I know about milestones, but for the record:

3) Clients can dispute milestones that have been funded and work submitted?

4) (Sorry to put this on you.)

1.  Yes they can dispute, but they will only win for hours with low activity, non work related screenshots, screenshots that don't show the freelancer working on the project, or missing / inadequate work memos (or fraud but that's another ballgame)
  2. Manual time = client wins dispute by default as Upwork can not check any screenshots as there are none.
  3. Clients can request their Escrow funds back for funded milestones, the freelancer (!!) can dispute that.
  4. No problem at all, I'm done translating for the day 🙂

Fernando and Nichola,

I see Petra has already addressed your questions about payments for manual time and how disputes work on Upwork. You can also check this help article about getting paid on hourly contracts and this post I wrote about disputes.

~ Valeria
Upwork

@Valeria K wrote:

Fernando and Nichola,

I see Petra has already addressed your questions about payments for manual time and how disputes work on Upwork. You can also check this help article about getting paid on hourly contracts and this post I wrote about disputes.

Thanks Valeria, but Petra is so much clearer and so much more succinct.

"Getting paid on hourly contracts" is not immediately to hand to those whose English does not lead them to Upwork's key words.