🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Client didn't respond once I submitted th...
Page options
aqeelashraf
Community Member

Client didn't respond once I submitted the work?

Please let me know what should I do if client didn't respond once I submit the work. He did ask for any changes even. Please suggest what would the next step. Thanks

5 REPLIES 5
prestonhunter
Community Member

Clients are not obligated to respond.

Freelancers get paid AUTOMATICALLY.

When I use the "Submit Work / Request Payment" button to submit my work, and a client does not respond, not even to ask for changes, then that is a GOOD THING. It means that I get paid ALL of the money in escrow. Automatically. And I don't need to do ANY additional work. I don't even need to answer questions.

re: "Please suggest what would the next step."

There is no "next step."

Do nothing.

Get paid.

wlyonsatl
Community Member

But if the project is complete, there's nothing wrong with asking the client to release the funds. That way you don't have to wait 14 days for Upwork to release the funds automatically and another five days before the funds can be transferred to your bank or other account.

19 days is a long time to wait for money if you can get it in a third of that time.

kat303
Community Member

Aqeel A wrote:

Please let me know what should I do if client didn't respond once I submit the work. He did ask for any changes even. Please suggest what would the next step. Thanks

---------------

Assuming that this was a fixed rate job AND the client deposited the FULL amount into escrow, all you have to do is to click on the Submit Work/Request Payment button. If the client does nothing then 14 days later whatever is in escrow will be automatically released to you. If you've already done that, don't click on that button again as it sets the 14 day count down back to 0 and you'll have to wait 14 more days from when you click on it. Of course, if there's nothing deposted into escrow, then you're out of luck.  If you submitted your work another way, (attachment to messages, email etc) and you haven't clicked on that Bubmit button, then you need to click on it 

Assuming that this was an hourly job, if you used Tracker, and wrote meaningful notes in the screen shots it took, you'll get paid automatically at the end of 2 weeks. 

IMO it's not professional to ask a client to release funds. It's ok to ask a client to close a contract (after you receive payment) so that the client can give feedback. 

enn-aytch
Community Member

I have a similar question. If I submitted the work and the client did not message me back but DID release the funds, how long should I wait before asking them to close the contract?

Also, with this particular client, we did discuss the possibility of completing more projects, depending on how this one went. Should I take her silence as an indicator that she did not like my work and does not want to keep working with me? Or should I go out on a limb and submit a request for another milestone to keep the contract going?

Obviously, it's a case-by-case basis but I'm new on Upwork and don't have that many clients so I want to make sure I don't mess things up.

Thanks!

Nicole H wrote:

I have a similar question. If I submitted the work and the client did not message me back but DID release the funds, how long should I wait before asking them to close the contract?

Also, with this particular client, we did discuss the possibility of completing more projects, depending on how this one went. Should I take her silence as an indicator that she did not like my work and does not want to keep working with me? Or should I go out on a limb and submit a request for another milestone to keep the contract going?

Obviously, it's a case-by-case basis but I'm new on Upwork and don't have that many clients so I want to make sure I don't mess things up.

Thanks!

How many days has it been since you submitted the work?

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths