Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Client didn't understand team builder program

yosheli
Josh E Member Since: Jun 9, 2017
1 of 8

Hey guys,

I'm a long-time upworker, first-time poster. This September I got my first team builder offer for a design job. It had a weekly minimum payment for 30 hours commitment, so I cleared up my schedule and accepted! I thought, fantastic! Solid dependable work, so I prioritized any design jobs from him above all others and he's been very happy.

I've been on the contract ever since. Some weeks I've hit 30 hours, other weeks it was around 10 hours, and there have been some weeks where there hasn't been any work to do.

When there wasn't work,  I asked him to see if he had work, and he'd usually give me some. All the while I'm getting paid a weekly minimum. I've been on retainer with companies before Upwork and it's been like this before so I didn't think this was weird.

He messaged me yesterday to say he didn't understand that weekly minimums were being applied and has paused the contract. He said he wants to talk to me about this.

So I'm thinking now that he might have accidentally put me on the team builder program? I'm not sure what the client sees when they sign up for it, I got the offer in an email and I knew what I was getting in to.

He's paid me a lot of money and morally it doesn't sit right with me to just take his money if he made a mistake? On the other hand, I've kept a 30h week slot open since September and I don't know if this works the same as retainership in industry (ie you get paid no matter what)?

I haven't spoken to the client about it yet, I'm waiting for his response.

Have I done something wrong here? I really really don't know what to do in this situation, can anyone help me? 

vladag
Community Manager
Vladimir G Community Manager Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
2 of 8

Hi Josh,

Please ask your client to pause the contract and contact Customer Support if they haven't already. Note that you haven't done anything wrong - the client was charged as expected since they opted to post their job and hire a freelancer under the Team Builder program. I can assure you we have a procedure prior to posting a job and hiring on a Team Builder contract, to ensure both parties are aware of the program's terms and requirements. Let us know if you have any questions.

Untitled
petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
3 of 8

You have done nothing wrong. The client confirmed, when setting up the job, that he understood that he would be charged for a minimum of 30 hours a week every week regardless of what was worked.

The way out now is to end this contract and start a non-team-builder job. Do NOT get pressured into any refunds. 

If the client confirmed that he understood and agreed, then that is on the client.

yosheli
4 of 8

Thanks guys,

Yes he's paused the contract. I've suggested to the client that we should contact Upwork support, I'll see what he says.

I really hope this can be resolved without it hurting my JSS, part of me would rather refund than take a hit on that.

I'll update when I get a response. 

yosheli
5 of 8

Petra do you mean you think I should end the contract myself? What about it if hurts my JSS?

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
6 of 8

Don’t end the contract yourself, no. See what the client says, you can always explain that you gave the client a big discount on your normal rate based on the 30 hours....

in case the contract does end end up hitting your JSS you can use your top rated perk to have the impact (and or the feedback) removed, provided you have not used it in the past 3 months and 10 contracts.

But talk with the client first to see what he wants, do not OFFER a refund although of cause at that hourly rate it IS a hell of a lot of money.....

yosheli
7 of 8

Thanks Petra

yosheli
8 of 8

Hey,

Just a quick update to say my client and I resolved the situation happily, we've started a new hourly contract.

Thanks again for you help.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS