🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Client didnt activate the milestone
Page options
michaeljan89
Community Member

Client didnt activate the milestone

Hi everyone, this is the 1st time that i've encountered this problem.

Client didnt activate the last milestone and now she is unresponsive, she was nice to work with and i dont think she's intentionally avoiding me, but i cant seem to get a response from her, i've reached out via email that she gave and all but she isnt responding there either.

last thing is that i think she thinks that the milestone was activated becaues the project is now complete.

is there a way that i can get upwork to get that to activate so i can get paid?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
prestonhunter
Community Member

If a client did not fund a milestone, and you did the work for free, then there is nothing Upwork can do about that.

If you already tried sending a message to the client and received no response, then I suggest you simply learn from your mistake and let it go this time.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
prestonhunter
Community Member

If a client did not fund a milestone, and you did the work for free, then there is nothing Upwork can do about that.

If you already tried sending a message to the client and received no response, then I suggest you simply learn from your mistake and let it go this time.

Thanks, yeah certainly, she did activate a milestone basically she paid me 50%. but im not giving up, i'll keep on messaging her from time to time,

The point is, if the project was split into 2 milestones, and only 1 was funded - then you should only do the work to meet the first milestone. If you go further and complete the second milestone before it has been activated and funded - Then you are essentially doing free work. 

MY CLIENT CANT ACTIVATE A MILESTONE

PLEASE CHECK

re: "MY CLIENT CANT ACTIVATE A MILESTONE. PLEASE CHECK."

Tell your cilent:

"Sandra: I do not know why you are unable to activate a milestone. You are welcome to post a question about this in the Community Forum here: community.upwork.com

If you want to move forward with the project, I recommend that you simply close the current contract and create a new contract with the next milestone. It doesn't cost any more to handle things that way, and it is a workaround that we can make work, until we learn more about how to activate new milestones in a multi-milestone contract."

This happens again and again, and we can´t activate the milestone. Answers always come very late, which causes problems. Very annoying!

louisaj
Community Member

Hi Michael,

They likely won't come back. There's always the chance they aren't ignoring you but have had an accident, or worse, passed away. You never know what's going on behind the scenes. I once had a client who was taken ill, in hospital, but responded once they were out. But they had already funded the milestone anyway. 

As for getting the milestone paid, it's not going to happen through Upwork as the client has to give the funds to Upwork to hold in Escrow. Upwork cannot give you money they don't have.

As others have said, just don't do any work in future until that milestone is funded.

Best wishes,

Louisa

And always submit work to the client for each milestone using the green "Submit" button on the Upwork project page.

That starts the 14-day automatic payment period and the client has plenty of time to ask for revisions, if that is part of the project.

Hi Louisa, 

Thanks for explaining. You are saying do not work until both milestone are funded. 

can you explain how to check if the milestone is funded or not?

Thanks. 

Kiana

Kiana K wrote:

Hi Louisa, 

Thanks for explaining. You are saying do not work until both milestone are funded. 

can you explain how to check if the milestone is funded or not?

Thanks. 

Kiana

Look under "My Jobs" which lists all of your active contracts. Each job is listed and indicates if there is a milestone funded. 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths