cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Client didnt pay me the agreement

enrico-guarischi
Enrico G Member Since: Jun 14, 2017
1 of 11

Hi guys, i did a job while a go and the client only pay me half of the contract, he made a milestone and only paid a half.

I try to contact him and he  always said that he is going to pay me , always complainded about someone eles not paying me but in two weeks he is not responding any more, what should i do ? Everything i said can be prove by ours messages.

Thanks.

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
2 of 11

Enrico G wrote: what should i do ?

You can report the client, but there is nothing you can do other than NOT working on unfunded milestones in future unless you know the client very very well and trust them. And even then it means if the client does not pay you don't get paid.

purplepony
Community Guru
Pat M Member Since: Jun 18, 2016
3 of 11

Enrico, this is not in response to your question.  Petra has responded to that.

Upwork's TOS (Terms of Service) state that Profile Photos should only include the photo of the individual.  To abide by this you need to assure that you're the only one in your photo.  

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
4 of 11

Pat is right, but what a gorgeous little girl Smiley Wink

purplepony
Community Guru
Pat M Member Since: Jun 18, 2016
5 of 11

Yes she is, Petra! Woman Happy

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
6 of 11

Enrico, don't feel too bad about this. Many freelancers have made the same mistake that you made. But you won't make the same mistake again.

enrico-guarischi
7 of 11
But there were no milestone he created one so he could pay me the half of it.
tlsanders
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
8 of 11

@Enrico G wrote:
But there were no milestone he created one so he could pay me the half of it.

That's exactly the problem Enrico. You should never be working unless there is a funded milestone. If the client funds a milestone for 50% of the balance, you do 50% of the work (and no more) and submit it for payment, and then you don't do the other half of the work until there is a funded milestone for the rest.

If you're working without a funded milestone, you have no way to get paid unless the client feels like making a payment--and many who only partially fund projects never have any intention of paying the full contract amount.

enrico-guarischi
9 of 11

Please take a look at the screenshot of the contract, maybe i am not being clear.

I thought it was very well agreed.

tlsanders
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
10 of 11

@Enrico G wrote:

Please take a look at the screenshot of the contract, maybe i am not being clear.

I thought it was very well agreed.

Yes, the agreement looks clear--but, that second milestone should say (funded) with a dollar amount. If a milestone doesn't say (funded) with the full dollar amount you are expecting for that milestone, you are not protected, and should ask the client to fund the milestone before you start work.

The problem you have is that although the contract terms were clear, if the client hasn't deposited the money into escrow, Upwork has no means of collecting it for you. You always want the full amount for the milestone you're working on in escrow before you start.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS