🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Client disappeared and didn't paid for the ex...
Page options
annedrewmaury
Community Member

Client disappeared and didn't paid for the extra work, what can i do?

Hello everyone,

i have a client with whom everything was perfect, as the contrat was mainly paid, and she was happy with the work i provided for a pattern, she asked me for an extra job ( a kids calender) for which i asked 50$, it's in the conversation, she agreed on the price, and said she will add it to the existing contract instead of creating a new one. I delivered the calender two days ago, since then she's not answering and being disconnected, i even sent an email to her adress to check her upwork messages, still no answers, she didn't closed the contract yet & didn't add the extra 50$ for the work i provided, what can i do to be paid? I thought maybe she forgot, but it's now two days and it starts to seems suspicious... 

thanks a lot! 

11 REPLIES 11
petra_r
Community Member

Anne-Margaux D wrote:

what can i do to be paid?

Only wait. The client may get back to you. But when you worked without a funded milestone, you risked not getting paid.

Two days is not very long though.

Yes that was really stupid of me, but as the client seemed really nice, she paid the first job on time, even added bonus on each milestones, and added extra money for extra work for the pattern, so i guess i trusted her! I'll wait and see, but i guess i have learned my lesson! 

robin_hyman
Community Member

Moving forward please do not deliver work until your fixed-price contract has been funded.  OK if it was hourly.  

You may still get your $50....

Yes that was really stupid, i trusted her as she was really find releasing every other milestones, that's why i don't understand...anyways lesson learned i should never start a job without the milestone funded! thanks!

ruan_neves
Community Member

In future projects, it's also a good idea to add a watermark when sending previews to your clients and only send them the final version as a milestone. 

petra_r
Community Member

Anne-Margaux D wrote:

i have a client with whom everything was perfect, as the contrat was mainly paid, and she was happy with the work i provided for a pattern, she asked me for an extra job ( a kids calender) for which i asked 50$, it's in the conversation, she agreed on the price, and said she will add it to the existing contract instead of creating a new one. Do bear in mind that you still own the work and the client cannot legally use it.... because it wasn't paid for.

The problem is that is for personnal use, it was a kids planner for he own kids...! But still i worked 7 hours on it, and i was nice to ask only for 50$... and the weird thing is that she dissapeared but didn't closed the contract! So i guess i'm gonna wait, and continue sending her mail, till i see she dissapeared for real, repport her and forget about my money...

Anne-Margaux D wrote:

The problem is that is for personnal use, it was a kids planner for her own kids...! 

That makes it worse somehow, don't you think?

Worse in which senses? 

I trusted her blindly because for the main project she was paying every milestones on time, added extra bonus, & paid extra work i did on the pattern, so i didn't thought she would just dissapear like that...anyways what is done is done

Anne-Margaux D wrote:

Worse in which sense? 

Of her... not you!

I've done what you did many times, it's always worked out so far but one day it'll happen to me too.

She got back to me! She said she was having problem with upwork connexion...and that she will pay me tomorrow! So well i hope she will, but for sure i have learned my lesson, never again i start a work without the milestone funded! 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths