🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Client disappeared, is this a way upwork ...
Page options
i_taratorkin
Community Member

Client disappeared, is this a way upwork contact him/her directly?

What should I do if a client just disappeared and does not respond to the completed task? It's almost two weeks since the end of the deadline, still waiting for a response as Hachiko but, you know, there's a limit to everything. 

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

re: "I'll try what you have advised, but what do I do if nothing changes?"

If you already clicked the Submit button 14 days ago, that's good. Wait one more day and the money will be released to you. If you have not yet clicked the Submit button, then click it now.

What if the client never responds? That's fine. The client has not broken any rules by doing that. You will receive all of the money in escrow.

re: "Because money in escrow from the client is not equal to the negotiated full-price for the project, so I won't be paid full-price automatically, don't I?"

Your understanding about what will happen is correct.

You will receive the fulll amount of money currently in escrow.

Funded escrow payments are what matters.

The "budget" doesn't matter.

Promised payments do not matter.

As freelancers, we only do work that is already funded in escrow.

If a client wants us to do 5 modules, for $100 each... and then the client funds an escrow payment of $100, then we only do one module.

The fact that the client funded $100 means that he only wants us to do one module at this time.

We do module, click the Submit button, and then wait.

If the client never funds additional money, we don't do additional modules.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "Client disappeared, is this a way Upwork contact him/her directly?"

You do not need to ask Upwork to contact the client directly.

It would be inappropriate for you to do that.

Clients are not obligated to stay in communication with freelancers who they hire.

re: "What should I do if a client just disappeared and does not respond to the completed task?"

What should you do?
You should do nothing.

When I complete a task, I click the "Submit Work for Payment" button and I get paid AUTOMATICALLY if the client doesn't respond.

That is a GOOD THING.

I get paid all of the money in escrow, and I don't need to make any changes. I don't need to answer any questions.

I don't need the client to check my file. I am the professional who the client hired. I know when the task is done. I click "Submit."

I don't ask for permission to click "Submit."

That is what you are supposed to do.

Just click Submit. Upwork's system automatically provides the client with the opportunity to review the work and if necessary she can click a button to "Request Changes." If she doesn't do that, then it means she trusts your work, or she has looked at your work and approves of it, and she wants you to get paid.

Dear Mr. Preston, I appreciate you're a professional and you use this upwork function, but that's the first time I've met that kind of miscommunication after dozens of jobs complete. 
I'll try what you have advised, but what do I do if nothing changes? Because money in escrow from the client is not equal to the negotiated full-price for the project, so I won't be paid full-price automatically, don't I?

re: "I'll try what you have advised, but what do I do if nothing changes?"

If you already clicked the Submit button 14 days ago, that's good. Wait one more day and the money will be released to you. If you have not yet clicked the Submit button, then click it now.

What if the client never responds? That's fine. The client has not broken any rules by doing that. You will receive all of the money in escrow.

re: "Because money in escrow from the client is not equal to the negotiated full-price for the project, so I won't be paid full-price automatically, don't I?"

Your understanding about what will happen is correct.

You will receive the fulll amount of money currently in escrow.

Funded escrow payments are what matters.

The "budget" doesn't matter.

Promised payments do not matter.

As freelancers, we only do work that is already funded in escrow.

If a client wants us to do 5 modules, for $100 each... and then the client funds an escrow payment of $100, then we only do one module.

The fact that the client funded $100 means that he only wants us to do one module at this time.

We do module, click the Submit button, and then wait.

If the client never funds additional money, we don't do additional modules.

Honestly, a LOT of clients simply want a "one and done" and won't continue communication after the project is finished. That in itself is really not of any concern. 

Outside of that, I'd simply echo what Preston has already said: Do the work that's funded and submit, then await the next milestone. 

If the money paid covers the work you've done, then no problem. If they have more work for you, they'll let you know, and if not, you move on. If you've done MORE work than the initial milestone covered, then you may have to write it off as a learning experience. 

If you've used the system correctly then you will very likely be paid for the work you have done.

Neither Upwork nor the client owes you any more than that. It happens. Move on. 

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members