cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Client disappeared

Juan S Member Since: Oct 27, 2018
1 of 11
I have a small amount contract with significant amount of job done and delivered.
Since my last submission (additional work requested) that happened more than 1 month ago, the client disappeared; he does not show up, does not answer messages, nothing
The job was delivered on time and top quality.
What should I do?
Given that it’s a small amount, ending the contract would be a good or fair option?
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
2 of 11

re: "I have a small amount contract with significant amount of job done and delivered. Since my last submission (additional work requested) that happened more than 1 month ago, the client disappeared; he does not show up, does not answer messages, nothing The job was delivered on time and top quality. What should I do? Given that it’s a small amount, ending the contract would be a good or fair option"

You have already been paid for all of your work on the project, so that's good.

Closing the contract yourself is not ideal, because it is likely that the client won't leave feedback.

Having a high proportion of no-feedback contracts will hurt your JSS. Having just a few here and there, among a broader majority of contracts WITH feedback will NOT hurt JSS.

3 of 11
I have not been paid the full amount; that’s what disappoints me. Thanks god it’s only $20.
Community Guru
4 of 11

re: "I have not been paid the full amount; that’s what disappoints me. Thanks god it’s only $20."

If you were not paid the full amount for our work, then it is important for you to figure out what you did wrong.

You made a mistake in how you used Upwork.

Because when used properly, freelancers get paid for all of their work automatically when a client disappears.

Do you already know what you did wrong, or would you like to provide some more information so we can help you figure that out?

5 of 11
Hi.
In terms of job, everything was delivered perfectly.
It was a Google sheet that was finished and delivered.
Should I send it as “submit job for payment”?
Community Guru
Tonya P Member Since: Nov 26, 2015
6 of 11

Juan S wrote:
Hi.
In terms of job, everything was delivered perfectly.
It was a Google sheet that was finished and delivered.
Should I send it as “submit job for payment”?

You'll never get paid if you don't.

Community Guru
Phyllis G Member Since: Sep 8, 2016
7 of 11

Assuming you've been paid for work completed so far, there is no reason to end the contract. If you do, the client may not bother to leave feedback. One no-fb contract isn't a problem but there's no point in acquiring one unnecessarily. If money has changed hands, then the contract can sit idle indefinitely without affecting you one way or the other (unless you accumulate a lot of such).

Maybe the client will surface again, close it, and leave fb. Or maybe they will come up with a little more work.

Community Guru
BEST ANSWER
8 of 11

re: "In terms of job, everything was delivered perfectly. It was a Google sheet that was finished and delivered. Should I send it as 'submit job for payment'?"

???

You didn't submit it yet?

Of course you should submit it.

You get paid AUTOMATICALLY 14 days after you submit the work using the "Submit Work / Request Payment" button.

If you had submitted it when you finished it, you would already have the money.

You are ALWAYS supposed to submit the work using the official button once you finish the work. That's what the button is there for.

9 of 11
Great thanks
Maybe what happened is that I delivered via the upwork message platfom
I already sent it using the “submit job for payment” button
Thanks!
Community Guru
10 of 11

Juan:
I'm glad we figured out what happened.

It is permissible to send a message via Upwork Messenger. Many of us do. But that is OPTIONAL. Doing that doesn't actually cause anything to happen within the Upwork user interface.

MAYBE the client will read our message and release payment. Or maybe not.

That is why we ALWAYS use the official submit button.

And if the client has disappeared.... That's GREAT! It means the client won't ask any questions, ask for any changes, or take any of our time at all, and we'll get paid automatically.

Of course... We DO want feedback. If the client has disappeared permanently... we won't get feedback. That's too bad. But at least we got paid. If the client DOES return eventually, and communicates with us, we can use that opportunity to ask the client to close the contract. (At which time he will be required to provide feedack.)

CLIENT: "Richard, thank you for finishing the project. Sorry I didn't reply to your messages. I was on vacation in Farlandia."

FREELANCER: "That's okay. Glad to hear from you. Let me know if you have any questions."

CLIENT: "Actually, I was wondering if you could send a PDF version of the file. I know that wasn't part of the agreement, but would it be difficult to do?"

FREELANCER: "I can do that. Could you go ahead and close the contract? Then I will send a PDF version of the file once it is closed."

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS