🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Client disputed my hours,he admitted it w...
Page options
5b9344cf
Community Member

Client disputed my hours,he admitted it was unfair(see attached), and promised withdraw,but...

The client disputed my hours, he admitted it was unfair(see attached Slack), and promised withdrawing, but upwork refunded the payment to the client.

Two questions to upwork in this case,
#1 Till now, I know the rule " If you do not respond within 3 business days, we will refund your client for all of the disputed hours.".  From this page, https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/211068588-Client-Disputed-My-Hours
a. Why not upwork provide obvious hints on the disupte dialog?
b. There are 3 choices, accept/response/reject to upwork.  Obviously, people will response to such dispute, and wait for client's response. If so, after 4 days, upwork refund the payment to the client. In fact, we should chose the choice to reject the despute to upwork to handle.
The client must have done such things again and again, Can upwork team please check?
For me, I don't know such cheat till I encountered such client.

#2 Now, I see the dispute notification below now,  
https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/requests/36484918
a. This notification is so important, why not upwork make the notification clearly on somewhere?
b. It saids "40:00 hours of manual time and no memo", but in fact, more than 20 hours have memo which is recorded by upwork time tracker. Please check again.

It must not be the first time the client **Edited for Community Guidelines**
do such cheats, Please check.
It's unfair to new freelancers (even I had worked as freelancers nearly one year now).
And they agreed they were cheating me / unfair to me, See attached please.
**Edited for Community Guidelines**

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Qian, 

I'm sorry for the delay; I had to look into this further. Please see my answers to your questions below: 

#1 a. I will have to check how the hourly dispute flow is designed. If I see no obvious hints about replying to a dispute within 3-business days, I'll share this with the team as a suggestion. However, when you receive a dispute notification, you should receive a notification on your My Requests page and the email address associated with your Upwork account. Kindly check your email inbox and respond to any email you receive from the team to avoid missing out on important notifications. 

You should be able to reply to the dispute notification as noted in the article you shared. Kindly check it for more information about responding to an hourly dispute.

#1 b. I cannot share more information about a client's account activity with you as this would be against our privacy policy. However, I will check the client's account and forward anything I find to the appropriate team. 

#2 a. Same response as #1 a.

#2 b. I double-checked the hours you logged for the week of August 8 to 14, and while some of the hours were manually logged, the hours logged through the Upwork Desktop App didn't have the appropriate memos. Please check this article's "To log time" section for more information about logging time with memos/activity on your Upwork Desktop App. Take note that you can also add memos through your Work Diary after you have logged time. Since the time logged didn't have memos, the hours logged don't fall under Hourly Protection.  

I hope this clarifies things for you.

~ Avery
Upwork

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
spectralua
Community Member

Thanks for sharing your experience. I have already fallen into many traps, but I have not yet encountered such a one. That's useful information.

5b9344cf
Community Member

Please upwork team give me a response

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Qian, 

I'm sorry for the delay; I had to look into this further. Please see my answers to your questions below: 

#1 a. I will have to check how the hourly dispute flow is designed. If I see no obvious hints about replying to a dispute within 3-business days, I'll share this with the team as a suggestion. However, when you receive a dispute notification, you should receive a notification on your My Requests page and the email address associated with your Upwork account. Kindly check your email inbox and respond to any email you receive from the team to avoid missing out on important notifications. 

You should be able to reply to the dispute notification as noted in the article you shared. Kindly check it for more information about responding to an hourly dispute.

#1 b. I cannot share more information about a client's account activity with you as this would be against our privacy policy. However, I will check the client's account and forward anything I find to the appropriate team. 

#2 a. Same response as #1 a.

#2 b. I double-checked the hours you logged for the week of August 8 to 14, and while some of the hours were manually logged, the hours logged through the Upwork Desktop App didn't have the appropriate memos. Please check this article's "To log time" section for more information about logging time with memos/activity on your Upwork Desktop App. Take note that you can also add memos through your Work Diary after you have logged time. Since the time logged didn't have memos, the hours logged don't fall under Hourly Protection.  

I hope this clarifies things for you.

~ Avery
Upwork
5b9344cf
Community Member

Thanks, your reply is very clear. I will not fall in such trap anymore.

For #1a, I still have some words on it, 
#1 I guess, most people will not check email address now. There are lots of spam and meanless email.
#2 In fact, I guess most people will not check notifications.
#3 Even now, I don't know the entry to "My Request Page".

I suggest those important hint on dispute should be present more obviously.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths