Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Client disputes payment

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
21 of 28

Abinadab A wrote:

There might indeed be benefit to the OP in delaying the outcome by a few days by failing to take action.

The contract has already ended, she already got bad feedback, public and private, it is already going to count as negative in Sunday's update, and if she accepts the dispute rather than losing after arguing for no good reason and losing it anyway, there will be no "additional" negative outcome.

Disputes do not automatically add more negativity to an already entirely negative outcome.

Ace Contributor
Dena S Member Since: Aug 25, 2019
22 of 28
Thank you. Unfortunately, it will change dramatically at the next update. Any suggestions to recover it as quickly as possible?
Community Guru
Phyllis G Member Since: Sep 8, 2016
23 of 28

Dena S wrote:
Thank you. Unfortunately, it will change dramatically at the next update. Any suggestions to recover it as quickly as possible?

The only way to rehabilitate a sub-par JSS is to accumulate enough closed contracts with perfect feedback to outweigh the existing ones in the score. Obviously, you want to achieve that as soon as you can, but don't let that sense of urgency overwhelm you. Early on, when you still have relatively few closed projects on your history, it's more important than it will ever be again to choose only best-fit projects and best-fit clients. It can feel like a no-win situation but it's not--it just calls for patience, focus, discipline, and persistence.

One thing I would add: never, ever submit anything to a client without a thorough proof-read. It doesn't matter if it's understood to be a draft, or an interim product, work-in-progress or whatever. In the event you find yourself tied up with an unreasonable client or things don't go as expected for whatever reason, work with typos or grammatical errors just hands them free ammunition and it's unnecessary.  Sure, we are all human and a wee error slips by from time to time. But if you make this a guiding principle, then those errors will happen a LOT less often.

Community Guru
Kathy T Member Since: Jul 17, 2015
24 of 28

Dena - is this job a Fixed rate job with funds in escrow or is this an hourly job?

If this is an hourly job, please read Petra's response. On hourly jobs, there is no arbitration or arbitration fee. It all depends on how you used the Tracker.

If this was a fixed rate job, then it doesn't matter what course you take because the damage is already done If the client closed the contract then they had to leave both public and private feedback. And if you refund the monies in escrow it will count as a job with no money earned and that will have an affect on your JSS. 

IMO if this was fixed rate, go for arbitration.Pay the fee. It's highly unlikely the client will also pay the fee since she doesn't want to pay you anyway for your work. She's not going to lose the arbitration fee to get back the funds in escrow that are less then the fee. So, if the client doesn't pay the fee and you do, you get the fee back plus whatever was deposited into escrow. (depending on whether this was fixed rate)

Community Guru
Will L Member Since: Jul 9, 2015
25 of 28

Preston,

If a milestone payment of $200 has been completed by Upwork, the freelancer could receive $160 and Upwork could keep $40 as its 20% fee.

If the $200 payment is refunded to the client in full, is the freelancer contributing $160 to the refund and Upwork refunds the remaining 40%?

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
26 of 28

Will L wrote:

Preston,

I'm not Preston, but

Will L wrote:

If a milestone payment of $200 has been completed by Upwork, the freelancer could receive $160 and Upwork could keep $40 as its 20% fee.

If the $200 payment is refunded to the client in full, is the freelancer contributing $160 to the refund and Upwork refunds the remaining 40%?

Indeed. The freelancer refunds $ 200, of which $ 160 comes from their available (or pending) balance, and $ 40 from Upwork adding back the fee.

Community Guru
Will L Member Since: Jul 9, 2015
BEST ANSWER
27 of 28

Upwork losing 100% of its fees due to frivolous client requests for refunds is a good reason for Upwork to do something about refunds for these clients. Taking money out of Upwork's pocket must get management's attention.

What can Upwork do? Beats me.

Other than tracking a client's pattern of behavior, which Upwork clearly already does with both freelancers and clients, and refusing a client's excessive requests for refunds. (What is "excessive"? That's up to Upwork to decide.)

If Upwork complies without question with all refund requests from clients who have shown a pattern of regularly requesting refunds that Upwork says it can't say "No" to, that would be very disappointing to freelancers who work hard for their money.

Ace Contributor
Dena S Member Since: Aug 25, 2019
28 of 28
Thanks everyone. I feel no less frustrated, especially because I genuinely trusted this client. In the end, she did not want her content edited (although it NEEDED it), and I paid the price. The hit to JSS is much more concerning than the money lost. I am learning as I go, but I do think Upwork should do something about clients demanding refunds for frivolous or false reasons, but overall I still love the platform. Thank you for each taking the time to help educate me a little more. It looks like I will be back to trying to hunt small, short jobs to mitigate the damage ASAP (I know it’s a long process).
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS