cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Client disputes work praised by him

ib_arts
Sourav K Member Since: Jul 3, 2017
1 of 7

I have a client for hourly job with whom I was working well. But on 29th I was to start the work at 9:00 AM IST. He had told that he would update the job to be done by 9:00 AM IST. But it was not done.I pinged him for task to be done and I waited for 40 minutes but he did not turn up. Then I started the premium freelancer test for which I was invited and the invitation was to expire soon. He turned up in mid of test and insisted to work on his tasks. Since I was in mid of the test, I could not work out on his project as skill test lasted for 6 hrs. By then he cancelled the contract and disputed the amount earned for current + previous week. What should I do in such case ?

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
2 of 7

Sourav:

The overwhelming majority of Upwork clients and professional, ethical, wonderful people.

Some are not.

The client's behavior that you described is unacceptable. It simply is not ethical or moral for clients to ask freelancers to do work on their behalf and then file a dispute as a way to try to avoid paying for that work.

But that is the the system that we deal with. It is no always fair. I'm sorry you had to experience this.

If a client files a dispute, there is no much you can do other than to:

a) refund the money immediately

[or]

b) respond to Upwork's questions about the situation and try to state your case

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
3 of 7

@Preston H wrote:

a) refund the money immediately

[or]

b) respond to Upwork's questions about the situation and try to state your case

With hourly contracts there is no case (as such) to state. All that is required is that the freelancer responds to the dispute stating that hours were tracked according to the terms and the client was happy with the results.

The dispute will be decided on whether the time was logged according to the hourly protection or not. nothing else.

In other words:

• Were all hours tracked using the tracker?
  • Was activity adequate?
  • Were there only work related screenshots?
  • Were there meaningful memos?

If the answer to all the above questions is "YES" - the freelancer winds the dispute

If the answer to one of the above questions is "NO" - the client wins the dispute.

The client can also not dispute 2 weeks hours at once.

The dispute period for last week ran out at midnight UTC last night

The dispute period for this (current) week's hours won't begin until next Monday.

If this on Tuesday (the 29th) the client had until last night to dispute for the week ending August 27th) and can dispute hours for this current week (ending September 3rd) from Monday lunchtime onwards.

If your work conformed to the criteria above (tracked, activity, work relevant, meaningful work memos) just respond immediately when the dispute is raised.

If it was manual time or you had not updated the memos, you might as well just accept the dispute as the client will win the dispute.

alekseevpavel78
Community Leader
Paul T Member Since: Sep 4, 2015
4 of 7

@Sourav K wrote:

1 - I pinged him for task to be done and I waited for 40 minutes but he did not turn up.

2 - Then I started the premium freelancer test...

What should I do in such case ?

What is the amazing story! 🙂

You should have finished the task and after that, you were able to do anything.

ib_arts
Sourav K Member Since: Jul 3, 2017
5 of 7

It may seem to be a story...... this is what happened. How could have I done the task, he had not specified what was to be done on the day. He came up with the tassk when I had already started the test.

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
6 of 7

@Sourav K wrote:

It may seem to be a story...... this is what happened. How could have I done the task, he had not specified what was to be done on the day. He came up with the tassk when I had already started the test.

It makes no difference.

The only thing that makes a difference is whether you logged your time strictly according to the terms of the hourly protection or not.

If yes, you should win the dispute.

If not, you won't.

That's all there is to it.

tlbp
Community Guru
Tonya P Member Since: Nov 26, 2015
7 of 7

If the client is making threats, capture screenshots of the conversation and share it with CS. 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS