🐈 Community
» Forums » Freelancers » Client dissapeared
Page options
igorsinitskiy
Community Member

Client dissapeared

Hi

Ive got client that funded 1/3 of the logo/branding job (it has 3 parts 1 logo 2 rack card and 3 brand gidelines). I sent several waves of logo drafts. We discussed it and then he dissapeared. Appeared in couple of weeks apologised and said he will review my work and will give feedback on how to move further on next day. And dissapeared again on couple of month. I wrote him several times. Nothing. Now Im recieving a message from Upwork that they send him a message signaling him of his inactivity. And also said that they (upwork) will close the job if he wont reply and I have a right to request a dispute.

What are my chances of getting paid for such work? 

PS: We worked with this client before and he havent paid 100% of the sum previously. He invited me to this new job by messaging on Upwork that he will cover previous job by adding some extra to this one when finished. I mean that fact helps in willing a disputes ?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

re: "I understand that but my concern was that I technically havent finished the work, I havent got his approval that work was finished"

Igor:

Yes, technically you DID finish the work.

Getting his approval is not part of the work.

Getting his approval is done through the Upwork user interface, by sending him the files using the "Submit Work / Request Payment" button.

So, by definition, getting approval is not part of the work.

When you click the green Submit Work button, that notifies him that he needs to approve your work or request revisions.

That's what he will do.

So you're not saying you finished and you don't care what he thinks. You are showing him that you care deeply about what he thinks, and you sincerely want to seek his approval.

That's what the button is for, asking for his approval and giving him an opportunity to ask for changes if he is not 100% satisfied.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
mthornton-cpc
Community Member

Hourly? Fixed-price? If hourly and you were paid, I'd let Upwork close the job and move on. Disputes rarely end in a good outcome for the freelancer. Unless it was a massive amount of money I'd chalk this up to a bad experience and move on. Same goes for fixed price - if you submitted your work and were paid for the first milestone I'd walk away. 

Its fixed and funded., I sent several collections of logos moving toward the end result. So I did my part of the work. But as I said we havent reached the final version because he dissapeared. 

If I  submit work as completed for the logo I will be rejected?  I mean this way any client on Upwork can easily get work done and not pay anything. 

Hi Igor,

You will need to submit the work on the milestone created for you. After 14 days the funds will be transferred to your account if no actions are taken on the milestone. Keep in mind that if you resubmit the work again you will reset the 14 days period. To learn more details about fixed price protection, check out this Help Article. Thank you!

~ Goran
Upwork

Thanx

re: "But as I said we havent reached the final version because he dissapeared."

It doesn't matter if he has disappeared.

Submit your work using the official "Submit Work / Request Payment" button.

Then, if he has truly disappeared, you will be paid automatically.

In a way, if he has truly disappeared and never responds or does anything, then this makes things easier for you because it means he will not be asking you to make any changes. He won't have any questions you need to answer.

You can do nothing further, and get paid.

Yes I understand that but my concern was that I technically havent finished the work, I havent got his approval that work was finished. I did alot (more that I ususally do for this kind of jobs) and I want to get paid for that, but he dissapeared instead of approving the work which makes him guilty of job being stopped by upwork but still ...he hasnt approved...

So I wanted to know Upworks view on such situations

re: "I understand that but my concern was that I technically havent finished the work, I havent got his approval that work was finished"

Igor:

Yes, technically you DID finish the work.

Getting his approval is not part of the work.

Getting his approval is done through the Upwork user interface, by sending him the files using the "Submit Work / Request Payment" button.

So, by definition, getting approval is not part of the work.

When you click the green Submit Work button, that notifies him that he needs to approve your work or request revisions.

That's what he will do.

So you're not saying you finished and you don't care what he thinks. You are showing him that you care deeply about what he thinks, and you sincerely want to seek his approval.

That's what the button is for, asking for his approval and giving him an opportunity to ask for changes if he is not 100% satisfied.

Hi Igor, 

I checked your contracts and it looks like all your fixed-price contracts have funded escrow. As Goran explained, please make sure to submit work via the contract/milestone-submission page. If your client doesn't get back to you with request to revise your work within 14-days, the money in escrow will automatically be paid to you. 

Please read up on the link that Goran shared for more information on how you can get paid for fixed-priced contracts. 

~ Avery
Upwork
Latest Articles
Upcoming Events
Jan 31
Feb 28
Upwork Community Virtual Hour
Community Hour English
Mar 28
Upwork Virtual Community Hour
Community Hour English
Learning Paths