cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Client does not follow Upwork work process

Chandresh L Member Since: Oct 14, 2015
1 of 14

I am summurising the whole post and replies for new readers.

To make this short,
1) Project is devided in to a week long phases (i previously mentioned it as milestone),
2) first phase was a fixed term project on upwork, no work delivery, no communication managed on upwork, however I completed this and also received payment.
3) client delivers work to be done for next phase (second milestone) by email.
4) Becuase first phase was a fixed term project. There is nothing about the second phase of the work on the upwork.
5) I asked him in very professional manner to create a project on upwork for the second phase, he didnt like this obviously he probably intend me to trust him by first phase of the work and then wanted to me work outside upwork.

I declined without project defiend on the upwork, so I am worried that he might give bad reviews for the first project on the upwork.

How can I deal with those kind of reviews?

---

Responses I recevied from other users said, nothing can be done.

---

In a response from Upwork Community Moderator, I was told that I can respond to feedback and offer a clarification or rebuttal.

After searching on upwork support I found following.

I found a link for reponding feedback

Summurising first paragraph - nothing can be done. This is like a joke, "Yeah, you can respond but actually you cant!"

Second link on Upwork support.

Says on the firstline, Accuracy of feedback is not checked, means feedbacks can be inaccurate.
However these inaccurate feedbacks are very important for reputation.

A disappointing fact.

**Original Post**

I have started upwork recently and a week ago I have recevied my first contract.

We communicate by email and skype.
I was excited and finished the project 3 days in advanced, the client was very happy when I delivered him my work as email attachment.

The things changed after that, when In that email I said I will upload a copy to work done on the upwork for the proof of work done. He replied, "upwork is not a client and I must not upload anything on upwork." He sent me payment so I dont worry about proof and payment.

He also immediately sent me the next upgrade as a next milestone to complete in a week. However he hasnt updated upwork. Becuase this is different requirement to complete in another set of time, I asked him to update upwork by probably creating next fixed term project with a deadline. He replied me he didnt understand what I mean. After a minute he said he doesnt want to work with me anymore because I ask such question.

It is very obvious that I ask those quesion becuase,

1) I have no upwork protection because client does not want devliery by upwork. I depend on trust on person I dont know.

2) If I dont accept next upgrade and say I dont want to work, He can post bad review. 

3) If I accept I might be working for free becuase there is no project on upwork that says me I should be doing this work with deadline and has attached price.

Please advice the best way to deal such situation?

Second thing,

Client has paid for the work I have done immedietly after our conversation, the work I have done was excellent and he greatly appreciated before we started project terms conversation. However I am worried if he might have posted bad review becuase he is angry. Is there a way to solve this? I am new this might be my first review and having first bad review means I probably wont receive project on upwork eventhough It wasnt my fault at all.

Thanks,

Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
2 of 14

So he accepted work through upwork for the first milestone and now he doesn't want to do any more? That's kinda odd.

You got paid through Upwork for the first milestone?

3 of 14

The project was upgrade to an existing project, and devided into a week long milestones. 

He doesnt want any terms about the project set on the upwork. He also doesnt want I send him work by upwork. Only payment is managed on upwork. No project terms, no work done and no communication regarding the project is managed on upwork.

He paid for the first week and assigned me work for the next, First milestone was fixed term project. and there is nothing about the next milestone on upwork. SO asked him to create second milestone as a fixed term project or edit the fixed term project already defined for the first milestone to reflect new deadline and payment. Because there is nothing about the second milestone on upwork and delivery, communication is managed outside upwork and he doesnt pay me for second milestone, then there is nothing that I can claim on upwork or raise dispute. So  I asked him to update upwork reflecting new milestone.

He didnt like and said he doesnt want to work.

I think he doesnt like to abide by upwork process. His mood changed when I asked him.

I worried that his change of mood result in bad review.

Community Guru
Suzanne N Member Since: Aug 15, 2012
4 of 14

I would send him a nice but firm note and state you can't start the next part of the project until he sets up a new milestone. Be firm and say I am sorry but I can't work unless the next milestone is set.

There is no reason you can't send him the project off of Upwork although you are safer sending through Upwork, but for instance if you uploaded to your Dropbox or Google then you have some proof that you sent it. Make sure to keep track of any emails or other communication off of Upwork if you do, but I wouldn't work for him unless the next milestone is setup. You can contact support about the issue as well to make them aware that you have a problem with a client and what kind of problem.

5 of 14

Thanks Suzanne N,

-- Make sure to keep track of any emails or other communication off of Upwork if you do, but I wouldn't work for him unless the next milestone is setup. -- Suzanne N

The first milestone went without problem, there is an upwork fixed term project, i delivered and he paid for that.

The second milestone is not on the upwork. I asked him to set up next milestone on upwork, he didnt like and said he doesnt want to work.

I dont mind that he doesnt want to work becuase even I dont want to work without anything setup on the upwork, 

Just worried that this could result in bad review and how I can deal with those kind of bad reviews?

Community Leader
Sebastian N Member Since: Sep 22, 2015
6 of 14

You don't need to ask for permission to upload your work to a milestone. Next time just upload it there and if you have to make any changes, resubmit it.

Also you need to be more professional. Don't tell your clients that you are worried about them not paying you, that you need proof for upwork and so on. A legit client would feel offended by that.

Your client obviously lacks english skills, so he might have felt threatened after he realized that he made a mistake by just creating a new milestone without discussing it first and was scared of a possible ToS violation and then closed the contract.

But I absolutely agree that a client should not just add work that wasn't in the job description. If they want to hire you long term, they should make an hourly contract or at least ask you first. But those are all things that can be communicated with the client (you might have to use simpler terms for him).

Community Guru
Dawn L Member Since: Sep 3, 2015
7 of 14

I've never, ever had a client get upset over submitting work through Upwork - even when I've had to sign a NDA before beginning the project. That's a little odd that the client reacted the way that he did over something like this.

As others have stated, there is nothing wrong with submitting work to the client off of Upwork. Personally, I've had clients that have asked me to use Trello or Basecamp project management programs to get and submit work (only for the long-term projects, and usually when they have more than just me in their writing team lol). I've also had clients that have asked me to use Dropbox or Google Drive to submit work. Things just seem to run smoother using those outside sources. And, when you request payment (for fixed rate jobs at least), the fine print even says that it's not mandatory to submit work that way, if you've already submitted it to the client. Sometimes I double send like that, usually not.

As for milestones, again, I agree with everyone else who has commented here. Next time just kindly tell the client that, due to Upwork's policies, you cannot begin working on the next milestone until he creates and funds it. Most self-respecting clients will have no problem with that. As Sebastian pointed out, make sure you sound professional to the client, and aren't coming off as offensive. For me, usually when a client wants a new milestone added to the contract, I say something like "Sure, I can do that for you. Please add and fund the new milestone for this project so that I can get started on it as soon as possible." (or something along those lines). I've never had a problem with a client refusing to do so.

8 of 14

Thanks Sebastian,

I didnt asked for permission, our communication was mainly by emails and when I emailed him with new updates I just Informed him that I am going to upload a copy on the upwork.

I am very careful when discussing project with client,  as I said in my previous post, 

there is an upwork fixed term project for the first milestone only, i delivered and he paid for that.

The second milestone is not on the upwork. Nothing about second milestone, I asked him to set up next milestone on upwork as a fixed term project or edit exiting project was set for the first milestone.

Well I dont want to work if there is nothing about the project on the upwork. only worried that what should I do if this results in bad review.

To make this short,

1) Project is devided in to a week long phases (i previously mentioned it as milestone),

2) first phase was a fixed term project on upwork, no work delivery, no communication managed on upwork, however I completed this and also received payment.

3) client delivers work to be done for next phase (second milestone) by email.

4) Becuase first phase was a fixed term project. There is nothing about the second phase of the work on the upwork.

5) I asked him in very professional manner to create a project on upwork for the second phase, he didnt like this obviously he probably intend me to trust him by first phase of the work and then wanted to me work outside upwork.

I declined without project defiend on the upwork, so I am worried that he might give bad reviews for the first project on the upwork.

How can I deal with those kind of reviews?

Milan N Member Since: Apr 17, 2012
9 of 14

Unfortunately nothing can "protect" you or any of us from a bad review. Some clients (especially new) don't know how much that review is important to us (freelancers) and they kinda play with it.. Keep in mind that EVEN IF CLIENT DOESNT LEAVE REVIEW AT ALL, and just close the contract, your Job Success SCORE WILL DROP! 

I really don't undertand why we are penalized for something like that....

Ace Contributor
Lars S Member Since: Jul 19, 2015
10 of 14

Hello. Can I ask what kind of job it was? I also had a client who wrote the same to me after I submitted the job via email.

Best regards Lars
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS