🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Client doesm't provide his tax number
Page options
mauriziograssia
Community Member

Client doesm't provide his tax number

My client doesn't provide his fiscal number or VAT and I don't know how to issue invoice. Both me (freelencer) and the client are EU based. Can anyone suggest how to solve the problem? How can I open an Upwork ticket?

5 REPLIES 5
BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Maurizio,

Entering a VAT number isn't required for a client to hire a freelancer. The option is there for clients to use and the number will then also be displayed on the invoices. You can discuss this with your client and may need to check with your local tax adviser to learn more about paying VAT in your location. 

Thank you! 

~ Bojan
Upwork

The client MUST have a Tax Identification Number (not necessarily VAT) and I need it for the invoice. Any TIN is shown in the invoice issued by Upwork and I would like to know if Upwork can force the client to provide his TIN (I think that when the client signed up to Upwork he provided his TIN). The client does not answer to my messages. Thanks

Hello,

I'll have one of our customer support agents reach out to you directly and assist you further.

Thank you

Pradeep H.

Upwork

Pradeep H wrote:

Hello,

I'll have one of our customer support agents reach out to you directly and assist you further.

Thank you

Pradeep H.

This is a general problem. We do not know which information has been provided by the clients and I keep getting incomplete invoices because I need the clients "name and address or organisation number" to meet the legal requirements.

adfa98b3
Community Member

Hi, was this issue ever resolved? I've seeked the legal / tax advice in my home country (Czech republic) and I know I am required to report my income within EU countries to Tax office each month via e-form. The client's TIN is a mandatory field so I can't complete the report without it. Any advice in case the client doesn't want to provide it  (which is already suspicious).

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members