🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Client doesn't pay for the work I delivered a...
Page options
junko-t
Community Member

Client doesn't pay for the work I delivered as he sent me the wrong files to work on

Hi, I hope everyone is doing well.

I was very disappointed today. I was working on a translation project to meet today's deadline, and I found out that the total number of words and the rate were different from the agreement with the client. When I realized it, the work was completed around 70%, and I sent him a message to double-check the fee, and I continued to work on the project to meet the deadline in the meantime. Later, the client realized that he had sent me the wrong files to work on, and he refused to pay me for the work I delivered as the work was already done by someone else a while ago. I feel that it's unfair because I declined another client's job to work on his project today, and I just followed his instructions and delivered the work on time.

We exchanged several messages; I requested the payment according to our agreed rate; he only offered to pay me $50 for misunderstanding instead of $125, and asked me to work on the actual project he wanted me to work on. But later, he asked me for a refund of $50, claiming that he stated the milestone title correctly and it was not his fault, although sending me the wrong files.

I'm currently a top-rated freelancer with a job score of 100%, and I always give my utmost to every project I work on. I've been working with this client for almost 6 months continuously. Despite my special rate (I worked for him half of my regular rate) and my belief that I had been very accommodating with his strict deadline, he rated me a 4.55 for my lack of flexibility.
My job score will suffer as a result of this incident, and I feel it is so unfair that I wasn't compensated for the task I completed.

Is there any action I can take from my side?

Thank you,

Junko

2 REPLIES 2
prestonhunter
Community Member

I am sorry you are going through this.

It sounds like the client is either a fundamentally irrational person, or a fundamentally unethical person. Or both.

But you SHOULD NOT worry about the 4.55 score or try to do anything about that. This score represents a perfect or near-perfect score on all six out of six categories the client was asked to evaluate you in. It is NOT Upwork's intention that any "action" be taken on this front.

Note that it IS POSSIBLE to remove that score and that feedback from your public job history (by refunding all earnings from the contract). But doing so will NOT change or improve JSS.

Hi Preston,

Thank you for your advice.  I contacted Upwork custmoer support and they managed to remove the client's feedback as well as the contract from my Job Success score calculation.  ( https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/219801228-Feedback-Removal )

It seems that several other freelancers had issues with this client. Although he was the only unreasonable client I encountered after working on this platform for over a year, I will be more careful next time I work with a new client.

Have a lovely Sunday!

Junko

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths