🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Client doesn't want to pay and asking the cha...
Page options
c85d24a6
Community Member

Client doesn't want to pay and asking the changes which was not in initial brief

The client gave the brief and I did the job according to his brief after 4 days of non-payment for my fixed contract milestone one even after finishing the job he asked to make extra amendments which were totally different and were not the part of the initial brief, I requested him to make extra milestone to which he was rude and said he will not be making payment for my initial job as well. He initially gave me his WhatsApp number stating he won't be available on Upwork for updates and started asking for changes thereafter on WhatsApp when I refused. Now even after the work, he has not paid me yet.

3 REPLIES 3
prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "Client doesn't want to pay and asking the changes which was not in initial brief"

It doesn't matter what the client "wants."

That is not how this works.

I want to eat pecan pie without making my blood sugar go up.

But it doesn't work that way.

You should always be polite and communicate in a professional manner with clients. But that does not mean that clients can tell you how to run your business as a freelancer.

You offer certain services, and you decide what the cost for those services is. And if a client doesn't pay that cost, then the client does not receive your services.

re: "The client gave the brief and I did the job according to his brief after 4 days of non-payment for my fixed contract milestone one even after finishing the job he asked to make extra amendments which were totally different and were not the part of the initial brief"

With a fixed-price contract, there are no "amendments."

There is an agreed-upon task. The client funds the payment for that task, and then the freelancer does that task. If something is not written in that task agreement, the freelancer does not need to do it. When the task is completed, then the client needs to release payment.

If the client need something different or new, then the client needs to ask the freelancer if he may create a NEW MILESTONE. And it is the freelancer who decides how much that new task costs.

If a client does not play by the rules, then the freelancer needs to stop working for him.

If a client doesn't release payment, then the freelancer may need to dispute the client's non-release of payment:

https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/211068528-Dispute-Non-Release-of-a-Milestone-Payment

re: "Now even after the work, he has not paid me yet."

Well, this whole thing may be over.

Clearly this client does not deserve to have you working for him any longer.

Is there any money currently in escrow?

If there is money in escrow, then follow the instructions in the link above.

If there is no money in escrow, then the matter is over. Close the contract if you have not already done so, and stop communicating with the client.

c85d24a6
Community Member

The client payed for the extra but he played in a way that he gave me a bad feedback which dropped my job success rate, also the client always want to keep in contact via whatsapp and not giving me changes on Upwork, he threaten not to relase payment and when I said I dont want payment I will end the contract he just went and gave a bad feedback.

Hi Anushka,

Thank you for reaching out to us and I'm sorry to hear about your experience.

I checked your account and could not find the contract you're referring to. Your JSS is also still at 100%.

We understand that occasionally you may have a disagreement with a client about the work you submitted and your payments. We encourage you to always try to work things out with your client first. However, if you do need to take further steps, we created Upwork Fixed-Price Protection to allow freelancers and agencies to file disputes under these two circumstances:

1. A client ends the job with an escrow balance
  2. A client fails to release a milestone payment despite the delivery of work
You can check this help article for more information

~ AJ
Upwork
Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members