Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Client doesn't want to pay for my job

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Md. Muhaimin R Member Since: Feb 7, 2017
1 of 15

Hello! Recently I have experienced a bizarre incident. I am working for a client in a fixed price contract.  to develop aa machine learning model for time series problem. I have used deep learning model. He had set three milestones. To beat the error score 47 (50$)  then to beat 43 error score (75$) and to beat 40 error score (75$). [the lower the error the better].  In my first attempt I had beaten 43 error score. so I requested 43 error score, so I requested 125$. but he is saying my code gives him NaN values.  I ran it again in my computer it is still working perfectly. But he still got NaN values. As he is getting NaN values, he wont pay for my job. So I said to give me remote access to his machine, he said his deadline has passed so there's no point to work on this code. Is it fair?  I have done my job as much as possible. now he doesn't want to pay me because a supposed problem there, which he doesn't want me to solve!

Highlighted
Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
BEST ANSWER
2 of 15

I'm sorry to hear you had an unfortunate experience on this contract, Md. Muhaimin. I just checked and can see that the client has requested for the amount in escrow to be refunded back to him. You have the option to reject the refund request and file a dispute for the money in escrow. 

You may read more about filing a dispute here.

-Avery
Untitled

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
3 of 15

Thanks for the reply. I had disputed the refund request. But no further email from upwork, neither client said anything yet. Moreover, the client gave me 5 star and I have seen him doing the same dubious stuff with another freelancer named James H.

Highlighted
Goran V Moderator Member Since: Mar 24, 2017
4 of 15

Hi Md,

I can confirm that you have opened a dispute for this contract, our team will respond back to you soon and assist you further, thank you!

Untitled
Highlighted
Community Leader
Piush P Member Since: Apr 29, 2015
5 of 15

Hi Goran,

As per my current bad exp I think some clients knew the limitation of system so they are taking advantage of system by clever tricks. In other word we can say that they want his/her job wihtout any investment and it is working as charm for them. And the main thing they are doing this thing without any fear. Please analysis my ticket (ID: 20660488) you will get my point.

Thanks and look forward to hear you...

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
6 of 15

sad to hear that. Can you provide the link ?

Highlighted
Community Leader
7 of 15

Hi Muhaimin,

There are no open link now, because he was 3 steps more clever than your client... he ended that contract without informing me and filed the dispute against me while I could not understand why he did... Later I realised that he cheated me by this trick because he got my full high end game art work (during my development and his approval process) only with very less intial money. Actually he know that I have 100% JSS with top rated badge so I wont keep his initial money as compare to keep his false long listed public feedback. And I defeated by his trick becasue obviously who want to keep a very huge false statement on public profile with little earning.

Highlighted
8 of 15

Hi Piush,

I`m sorry to hear this, unfortunately we can`t discuss private details publicly in the Community.
I can advise you to go over our guides on Hourly Protection for Freelancers and Fixed-Price Protection for Freelancers.
I can see that your regularly communicating with your dispute agent. If you have any additional questions feel free to post them on your ticket, thank you!

Untitled
Highlighted
Community Leader
9 of 15

Thanks for your quick respond Goran,

I know that we cant discuss private thing much in public place thats why I gave you only my ticket ID as its reference. Actually I am getting too slow respond by dispute agent and yesterday JSS cycle shocked me again. Even I trust on upwork that they wont be happen any wrong thing with us. 

Between for this particular case, I have a good suggestion as per below:

Actually upwork should provide the additional button for each client entitle "APPROVED", and it should be mandatory for each client once freelancer will request after submission of his/her work for approval. If client click on “APPROVED” button means they cant claim on freelancer for any kind of blame later. And if client want to end the contract before agreed budget, freelancer approval should be must. As well as if freelancer want to end any of contract before agreed budget, client approval should be must. So I think this fraud cant be repeat anymore.

Highlighted
10 of 15

Hi Piush,

Thank you for your feedback, I will share this with our team.
Just to confirm that as it was in your case, when a client asks for a refund you have the option to approve the refund or open a dispute.
Our team member will follow up with you shortly, thank you!

Untitled
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS