cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Client ended contract and ask for refund on hourly job and ask otherwise report me

Muhammad Ahsan F Member Since: Mar 21, 2018
1 of 13

Hello, 

I have a client on upwork that want to run ads on google adword  and ask me  that my adword account is suspended please  use your own I ask ok I will use my own google adword account and ask to use own payment method also then i use my own payment method .he  hire me on upwork with an hourly rate of 10$ I work successfully  for 1 month  and today he  ended contract one more thing we talk on WhatsApp so at WhatsApp  he ask me to refund 100$ of last week otherwise I will report you on upwork  i have all chat of whatsapp . He does not pay me budget i spent all budget and bear a loss of 350$ and he is now asking me to report.what can i do if he reports me and want a refund.

Community Guru
Martina P Member Since: Jul 11, 2018
2 of 13

MUHAMMAD AHSAN F wrote:

Hello, 

I have a client on upwork that want to run ads on google adword  and ask me  that my adword account is suspended please  use your own I ask ok I will use my own google adword account and ask to use own payment method also then i use my own payment method .he  hire me on upwork with an hourly rate of 10$ I work successfully  for 1 month  and today he  ended contract one more thing we talk on WhatsApp so at WhatsApp  he ask me to refund 100$ of last week otherwise I will report you on upwork  i have all chat of whatsapp . He does not pay me budget i spent all budget and bear a loss of 350$ and he is now asking me to report.what can i do if he reports me and want a refund.

I don't get it. Did you do something that was illegal, unethical, or against upwork ToS, or a combination of those?

3 of 13

no, I do not do against Upwork TOS want to know I chat with my client on WhatsApp can it affect me?

Community Guru
Martina P Member Since: Jul 11, 2018
4 of 13

MUHAMMAD AHSAN F wrote:

no, I do not do against Upwork TOS want to know I chat with my client on WhatsApp can it affect me?

I see. How did you agree with him to be compensated for using your own account?

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
5 of 13

MUHAMMAD AHSAN F wrote:

No, of coure not. Talking via WhatsApp is allowed.

How was the client going to pay you for the Adwords costs?

6 of 13

He pays on upwork as a bonus and i work 35 hours on time tracker

Community Leader
Matthew T Member Since: Nov 18, 2017
7 of 13

MUHAMMAD AHSAN F wrote:

Muhammad Ahsan, what you described is against Google AdWords Policy, if this man's account was suspended, and you knowingly posted ads for him on your personal account, enabling him to circumvent policy, you could be held liable also.

Here is some information about that: https://www.en.advertisercommunity.com/t5/Ad-Approval-Policy/Account-Suspended-but-Adwords-team-give...

Please do be very careful, there are policies that are very strict on Google services, designed to protect us all, and the penalties could be career ending for you buddy.

In my opinion only, communicating with this client in WhatApp instead of UpWork, crippled you, UpWorks systems are designed to protect you and without those systems, the support team here might have a lot more trouble protecting you in this circumstance. I do not know for sure, that's how it looks without a valid flow of communication to verify the client's requests.

Good Luck!

Matthew

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
8 of 13

If it was an hourly contract, did you use the tracker to track your hours (not manual time) AND did you have meaningful work memos for your work AND good activity levels AND only work related screenshots?

If the answer to all (!) of the above is "Yes" then you are protected.

Spending your own money on the ads was very stupid. Why in the world would you ever do such a thing?

9 of 13

yes i track time with time tracker

10 of 13

also update memos

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS