🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Client ended contract without notice
Page options
irieislandgirl
Community Member

Client ended contract without notice

Hey there! Kind of a long story but I need you to know some facts and details. I have been with Upwork for four years and have worked for many clients. I even came in contact with a client that started a business and I was one of the ground floor workers. I was with them for 2 years. After that, the company restructured the way they oftered their service so there was no work for me any longer. The first one hired was the first to let go. Of course I was upset. Next job was just lately. I interviewed with her this past January 2019 and specifically asked her how long she wanted me with the company as I was looking for a long term position and didn't want the same thing to happen with what happen with the last job. She reponded, "We are looking for someone long term and we will always have work for you to do, so, hopefully forever!" So with that information, I took the job. I was FULL TIME 40 hours a week. I was happy with the work and they were too. They said positive things along the way about my work performance etc... Just two weeks ago after only 5 months with the company, the day after Memorial Day, I was told with NO warning or two week notice, that she was ending the contract because they were not using Freelancers any longer and hiring full time people in house and it had  nothing to do with my work performance. (I have text to prove that.) Of course I was shocked. My life at that moment was turned upside down. I was making great money with a company I was happy with, being able to pay my bills, and able to save some money back, to zero dollars and NO job in a split second. I am again putting in proposels everyday, with no bites and getting nervous. I usually have been lucky and able to find a job within a week, but not this time. It will be two weeks out of a job on Tuesday June 11. Running low on money. All this explained, my questions is, can clients end contracts with freelancers without a two week notice? They knew they were doing this and did not say a word to me. No notice. I was looking for that in terms and agreements and can't find that part anywhere. Your thoughts and answers??

4 REPLIES 4
jr-translation
Community Member

Melinda M wrote:

Hey there! Kind of a long story but I need you to know some facts and details. I have been with Upwork for four years and have worked for many clients. I even came in contact with a client that started a business and I was one of the ground floor workers. I was with them for 2 years. After that, the company restructured the way they oftered their service so there was no work for me any longer. The first one hired was the first to let go. Of course I was upset. Next job was just lately. I interviewed with her this past January 2019 and specifically asked her how long she wanted me with the company as I was looking for a long term position and didn't want the same thing to happen with what happen with the last job. She reponded, "We are looking for someone long term and we will always have work for you to do, so, hopefully forever!" So with that information, I took the job. I was FULL TIME 40 hours a week. I was happy with the work and they were too. They said positive things along the way about my work performance etc... Just two weeks ago after only 5 months with the company, the day after Memorial Day, I was told with NO warning or two week notice, that she was ending the contract because they were not using Freelancers any longer and hiring full time people in house and it had  nothing to do with my work performance. (I have text to prove that.) Of course I was shocked. My life at that moment was turned upside down. I was making great money with a company I was happy with, being able to pay my bills, and able to save some money back, to zero dollars and NO job in a split second. I am again putting in proposels everyday, with no bites and getting nervous. I usually have been lucky and able to find a job within a week, but not this time. It will be two weeks out of a job on Tuesday June 11. Running low on money. All this explained, my questions is, can clients end contracts with freelancers without a two week notice? They knew they were doing this and did not say a word to me. No notice. I was looking for that in terms and agreements and can't find that part anywhere. Your thoughts and answers??

Yes, then can cancel a contract at any time without giving a reaons. That's freelancing. If you prefer to work full time and long term for a client, you might want to look for a permanent job instead of freelancing.

Thank you for your reply. As I am not in the position to look for a
permanent job instead of freelancing, I was just wanting to know the answer
to that question and you answered it.

Thanks again.

Sad story, but yeah, clients can cancel a contract at any time. The two-weeks notice is not covered in Upwork ToS, that's only in the "real world" or maybe if you sign an additional agreement with that client specifically. Anyway, do you think a two-weeks notice would have saved you?

Don't put all your eggs in one basket. There are some other freelancing sites too. Always try to diversify your sources of income. You can't rely on just one client. Projects change all the time, and even if your work is great they will not be thinking about your personal situation. Besides, the client could have a family issue, could even die, you know...

The two week notice may have. I turned down 4 other invites because I was
working full time for the company and thought I was in a long term
position.

I have looked at other freelance websites. Thank you for your reply.
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths