🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Client ended milestone based contract une...
Page options
lewisw
Community Member

Client ended milestone based contract unexpectedly

Do I have any grounds to dispute a milestone based contract that the client has ended unexpectedly?  I am asking because I have sunk a decent amount of time into the project already and they wanted to cancel because I was asking for too much information about the project.  This cancellation obviously means that my work so far has been for nothing and I personally feel like I should be eligible for compensation due to the time already spent working on the project.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

It is inappropriate, unprofessional and immoral for a client to hire a freelancer to do work, and then not pay that freelancer for the work.

What this client did was wrong.

The correct thing to do would have been to release all escrow money to you and then close the contract.

What you can do now is decline the refund request. This will block the money from going to the client and create and official dispute.

Alternatively, you may accept the refund request and then all of the work you have done belongs to you.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
prestonhunter
Community Member

Clients may end a contract at any time.

You have no grounds to dispute.

As long as the client has paid you for the work that you did so far, the client has done nothing wrong.

> As long as the client has paid you for the work that you did so far

This is where my question lies.  I have a project saved locally full of the work I have done so far, yet the client has cancelled the contract and asked for a full refund, i.e. I get paid $0.

It is inappropriate, unprofessional and immoral for a client to hire a freelancer to do work, and then not pay that freelancer for the work.

What this client did was wrong.

The correct thing to do would have been to release all escrow money to you and then close the contract.

What you can do now is decline the refund request. This will block the money from going to the client and create and official dispute.

Alternatively, you may accept the refund request and then all of the work you have done belongs to you.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths