🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Client ended the contract suddenly and now me...
Page options
vaibahavkumar
Community Member

Client ended the contract suddenly and now messaging everyday for something new

Hello Everyone,
I am in very frustrating situation from last 4-5 days. I was having more than a year long contract with one of my client and last week the client ended the contract suddenly without any advance notice, he discussed some funding problem at his end few days back so that could be the reason he ended the contract.  After ending the contract, 2-3 days later he asks me to do some more work by blaming things on me that I was wrong, which I refuse to do since he ended the contract himself and I got some new work from my other client.
One day later he asks for a refund $711, I made that refund in good will since he was facing some fund issues. The same day, he again asks to do some work and offering payment for that. Since I am busy in other stuff so I can't pick that. The very next day he is saying that code files are missing but the code files were shared with him one day prior he ended the contract onto the platform we were using to share the code files. 
Now every day I am getting messages from him and this is distracting me from my work in other project.
Kindly suggest how I can get rid from the messages from him. 

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
04b3b57d
Community Member

Block him and ignore him? if you have good relations with that client. Try to ask him politely to not bother you anymore. if it doesn't work then block and ignore him this way,

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
04b3b57d
Community Member

Block him and ignore him? if you have good relations with that client. Try to ask him politely to not bother you anymore. if it doesn't work then block and ignore him this way,

Hi Ammad,
Thank you for the suggestion, Yes, I blocked him.

robin_hyman
Community Member

You have the option to block him. In Upwork Messager, click on the client's name at the very top. It will have a drop-down with some options. The last one is "Block XYZ". 

In the future, if you did the work, don't refund the client. I know you were trying to help, but it doesn't help. It actually hurts the client and us freelancers. I wouldn't be surprised if you agreed to take on his project, he would have asked you to do it at a steep discount or for free.  

re: "Client ended the contract suddenly and now messaging everyday for something new"

That makes no sense.

If a client has ended the contract, that means that the client wants absolutely nothing from me.

No requests. No information. No refunds.

If I am a client, and I want something from a freelancer, then the very first thing I do when I contact them is make it clear to them that I want to PAY them.

re: "After ending the contract, 2-3 days later he asks me to do some more work by blaming things on me that I was wrong"

No. That is not how this works. When a client ends a contract, it means that the client's business with the freelancer has concluded. It is not appropriate or logical for a client to end a contract and then ask a freelancer to work for free. After that client ended the contract, the client had NO CONTRACT with you. Just like I have NO CONTRACT with Barbra Streisand. That client had no more right to ask you to do anything for him than I have a right to call Barbra Streisand up and tell her she must record a song I wrote.

re: "One day later he asks for a refund $711, I made that refund in good will since he was facing some fund issues."

You should not have given him a refund.

re: "Kindly suggest how I can get rid from the messages from him."

Block him.

Hi Preston,

Thank you very much for the perfect explanation on the concerns I mentioned, it helped me and it will surely help for many of the other freelancers. I know many freelancers faces these kind of issues.

Yes, it seems I should not have made the refund, I did that in humanity and now I can feel funding was not an issue with him. I will take care of these things in future.

I blocked him via messanger. 

Hi Robin,

Thank you for the answer and It helped me. I blocked him from the messanger.
Yes, you are right I should not have make a refund, I did that just in humanity since he was facing some refund issues he told me but as per his last messages it's not looking a case of refund issue. I will be more careful next time for these scenarios.

Thank you again for your suggestions.

re: "since he was facing some refund issues he told me but as per his last messages it's not looking a case of refund issue."

He TOLD you he was facing issues.

I don't know that he was telling the truth.

And it does not matter.

What if this happened to someone:

I ate chicken, green beans and mushroom soup at a restaurant last month.

But now I have financial issues... money hardships. I want to buy a new video game for PlayStation. But I don't have enough money. Should I go to the restaurant and demand a refund?

Vaibhav: I am glad that you now have a broader perspective about what happened, and have figured out a way forward so that a misbehaving, manipulative client will not be able to bother you any more.

Hi Everyone,

This client is now becoming more disturbing and making me loose my focus from my other projects. I blocked him from messanger but he again sending refund requests and blaming things on me which I haven't done. He is saying I was running softwares on his servers and thefting his data but I never installed anything without his consent. I am getting demorlize from his messages day by day.

Is there any way I can report this to UpWork or UpWork can look into this ticket.

Best Regards,
Vaibhav

Hi Vaibhav,

I'm sorry to hear about what happened. One of our team members will reach out to you directly via a support ticket to assist you further.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork

Hi Aleksandar,

Thank you very much for looking into it on so quick. 

Best Regards,
Vaibhav **Edited for Community Guidelines**

Hi Aleksandar,

One of the team member from UpWork is in conversation with me over the email. The client has sent one more refund requests today and using in appropriate language in his messages. What should I do, he is making fake allegations in his messages and blackmailing me. Should I keep avoid inghis messages and refunds requests? (whick looks not possible) as I have to open the messanger to read messages from other clients.

I have a great track record on UpWork of my services with my every client and this client is just going the worst way he can to blackmail me. If he was not happy with my services then why he keep the contract so long and gave me bonuses also.

Best Regards,
Vaibhav Kumar

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths