🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Client ended the project
Page options
touseef73
Community Member

Client ended the project

Hi everyone, I have this client who ended the client after few days saying that I don't need it anymore. What should I do? Should I let go? Should I dispute? I just want that it should not affect my profile.
7 REPLIES 7
petra_r
Community Member

Touseef A wrote:
Hi everyone, I have this client who ended the client after few days saying that I don't need it anymore. What should I do? Should I let go? Should I dispute? I just want that it should not affect my profile.

more detail please.

Jourly or fixed rate?

Funded?

Is the work done? Half done?

fixed price project

only 1 milestone funded

i didn't start working on it because the next day he said he doesn't need it

Touseef:

If you have not done any work on the project, then the customer-friendly thing for you, as a freelancer, to do would be to allow the client to have all the escrow money refunded back to him.

As a person who has worked as both a freelancer and a client, I understand that having a zero-pay contract can cause problems with JSS.

So as a client, if I hired a freelancer to do something with a fixed-price contract, and he hadn't done anything at all yet, and I wanted to end the project, I would ask him:

"Touseef:

I'm so glad that you agreed to work on the project. But it turns out that I won't be able to use this. As you have not started on this yet, could I release $5.00 to you immediately, to compensate you for your time and inconvenience? I would be grateful, and you would not need to do any work at all to earn the money and my grateful feedback?"

I think most freelancers would see the benefit in agreeing to that.

wouldn't affect my job success rate?

re: "wouldn't affect my job success rate?"

Yes. In your case, if you agreed to a complete refund, it probably WOULD negatively impact your Job Success Score. Because you have so few other contracts.

You might want to send a message to the client explaining your situation, and asking if he can pay you a $2.00 bonus if you will agree to refunding the escrow money. That way you would not end up with a zero-pay contract.

can he create another milestone of $2 ? initially there was only one milestone

Touseef A wrote:

can he create another milestone of $2 ? initially there was only one milestone

No, he can either release only $ 2 of the existing contract, or, if the contract has already been closes, pay a bonus.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths